Honored Contributor

Re: What Store Do You Recommend to Purchase Carpet?

[ Edited ]

I asked two of my contractor friends about that when I needed to buy new carpet. They suggested to buy from a carpet store and not from the big building supply stores, for instance Lowes or The Home Depot. Carpet stores usually have their own installers and not subcontracted labor as would be done with the big supply houses. 

Carpet Exchange and Carpet One are two stores here in my town. There are also some independently-owned stores, too. I chose a family-owned/operated carpet company who has been in business here locally for over 50 years.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't recommend Home Depot.

There are no prices for padding included on the samples they have out on the floor.

Lowes shows both prices on their samples.

We had HD do our living room and it needed to be torn out and replaced as there were flaws in the carpet.  Second time wasn't as bad but not much better.

The bedroom carpeting has creases and wrinkles in it and we are in the process of replacing it.  We had someone from Lowes out to measure yesterday so are just waiting for the final price from them. 

If we are happy with how it turns out we will use them to replace the living room after the holidays are over.

Honored Contributor

We purchased from Home Depot must be over 20 years ago. It was fine but so long ago that I'm sure things have changed. We've since replaced the carpet in the family room with wood.

In the past however, I've mostly bought carpet from a local store and have gotten very good results.  Are there any stores in your area that are local that are not big chains?  I like to support local businesses.  I would also read reviews to see if there are any issues.

Esteemed Contributor

I recommend u go to Yelp or Nextdoor dot com --- and check out the reviews of local carpet stores in ur area. Buying an upgraded padding is also important. Make a list of all the questions u have, and ask the salesman. As someone on here said, they need to have their own carpet installers - not those dreaded subs. I, personally, would never buy carpet from Home Depot or Lowes (I do buy appliances from Lowes).- only from a carpet store.

I also suggest u get a sample of the carpet and sample of the padding that u purchase. When I moved into my brand new house 18 yrs ago - I spent a lot of money with the builders' Design Ctr. and I upgraded the carpet and padding for my whole house. Four years ago, I had a flood in my downstairs bedroom - and needed the carpet replaced. I had the original bill from the Design Ctr - and found that they gave me a lower grade of carpet/padding. The Crooks are everywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

I used Lowe’s and was very happy. 

Valued Contributor

@BunSnoop My parents used Empire a few years ago when they recarpeted their lakehouse (they have since sold it). They were pleased enough that when they replace their living room and bedroom carpet next year they will use them again. 

My daughter attempted to use Home Depot when she recarpeted the upstairs in her first home and had trouble working out a schedule with their subcontractors. She ended up going with a small, local business in her area and was pleased. They definitely worked with her schedule.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@BunSnoop  Here's what I'll strongly suggest:

Go to a real carpet/flooring store and if you're remotely thinking of making a purchase ask this question - do you have REAL installers or do you work with subcontractors. If they say subs, say thanks and go elsewhere.

Do not go to places like Home Depot because they don't tell you they farm out to subs. We did this a few years ago. Yes, large selection and good prices but never fear, you get what you pay for. We like the carpet and we liked (or I liked since I was home when the install took place) the first group to do the main 1st floor were good.

We then ordered the same carpet for the 2nd floor bedrooms/hallway but the two who came to tear out and install were AWFUL. They stunk of cigarettes and smelled up our entire upstairs. They did a terrible job, they made cuts/seams in bad places, they were relunctant helping me & DH putting the rooms back together (and yes they are paid to do this). They snuck out of the house and left when they thought they were finished never having said one word to DH or me they were leaving. DH was home when the 2nd floor was done.

DH and I moved the furn back into the master bdrm ourselves, went into one of the other bdrms only to find the 2 yahoos left without saying anything to us.

So, pick & choose wisely when you buy your new carpeting and ASK about the installers.  Stairs are very tricky too to make sure they're done properly. We did not have our stairs done, didn't plan to, still your installers need to know how to install properly.

Along these lines, if you're getting wall-to-wall carpeting, make sure the estimator has been generous in measuring the areas to be covered. Many years ago, we got new wall-to-wall carpeting from a local department store for our LR, DR and hallway to include the coat closet. When the installers got to the hallway (at the end of the job), they had to piece the remaining carpet remnants together to cover it because the estimator had measured the minimum amount needed. It looked like a checkerboard and there wasn't enough left to do the closet. Because the dye lots probably wouldn't have matched, the store had to replace all of the carpeting, which took almost 2 months. In the end, it looked good, but it was a hassle we didn't need. 

Honored Contributor

The simple reality, unfortunate though it might be, is that no matter who one chooses to do any kind of work around the home, the finished product is the luck of the draw. While I'm sure there are some entities that, overall, perform better than others, the end result is never, it seems, a guarantee anymore.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in the Houston area and I use Spring Carpets... sorry don't think they go to IL.  haha  good luck!!

Honored Contributor

I shop local. We have a great, small, furniture store nearby and they sell actually everything! We got our stair runner from them, our Levolour blinds, a huge area rug, among furniture of course. Try a local business for the best deal.

"Pure Michigan"