Trusted Contributor

What Store Do You Recommend to Purchase Carpet?

After the holidays I'm planning on getting new carpet for our living room and the stairs that go upstairs.

I live in Illinois and a store called Empire is very well known here for flooring. We used them for our previous home about 30 years ago.  The carpet and service was excellent.  At that time they did not have a large selection to pick from, but I'm thinking they've probably improved over the years.

I also was thinking of getting carpet through Home Depot as our store has a very large selection.   Have any of you got carpet from them?  If yes, a good or bad experience?

Who do you recommend to purchase carpet from?

Thank you!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: What Store Do You Recommend to Purchase Carpet?

I have purchased carpet several times from home depot.

I am very happy with it. The installation was very good and done when promised. The installation people called to make sure everything was done to my satisfaction.

I have no complaints.

I used them for four bedrooms, no stairs.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

I purchased carpet from Home Depot for upstairs bedrooms, hall and stairs. The installers did an excellent job. The carpet held up well and I was pleased. My daughter purchased carpet from Empire and she was pleased.  

Respected Contributor

About 4 years ago I needed new carpet in the master bedroom due to a plumbing leak.  I used Lowe's.  The sales person (in store) was very helpful and they offered free installation.  I had already researched what they had online so when I went to the store I knew what I wanted to look at.  I opened a Lowe's charge account and got 5% off the purchase.  I did have Empire come out with samples and was not impressed with the sales person they sent out.  The samples looked like stuff they were trying to get rid of.  Also, they had a 1/2 off carpet and installation and the price was still high. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Empire Today in September, 2018. Highly recommend.

Best price, excellent product. Choices, but not an endless variety. They do install next day if you choose. Excellent, experienced installers. I checked out several other businesses and Empire Today was the clear choice. Great quality for the best price, and I am a tough sell. Shop at home service at your convenience. I replaced carpet in my loft, a bedroom and stairs. A very budget friendly choice for re-doing flooring and the process was clean and fast.

Trusted Contributor

I am pleasantly shocked to see all the positive reviews/comments for Empire.  I had always heard horrible things about them (years ago) and a delighted to hear how happy everyone is with their quality, service and pricing.  Thanks for sharing!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

A few years ago we bought carpets for our bedrooms and stairway from CarpetOne. I was able to find wool carpeting in their "remnant room" in the colors, patterns and sizes that we liked at a fraction of the cost of regular carpeting. They had huge bolts of first quality carpeting that they cut to our specifications and bound with coordinating binding. I was surprised at the wide selection available. They also sold high quality padding. Their installers were excellent, especially the man who installed the carpeting on the stairs. Of course, if I didn't find something I liked in the "remnant room", I would have access to their full-priced carpeting. 

Respected Contributor

Most of my house has tiled floors, but the 3 bedrooms have carpeting & when I replaced it about 9-10 years ago, I had Costco's contractor do it.  The rep brought out samples & did the measuring & the installers did a great job & used a good quality padding that won't absorb spills, which was important at that time, since I had a cat. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop  Here's what I'll strongly suggest:

Go to a real carpet/flooring store and if you're remotely thinking of making a purchase ask this question - do you have REAL installers or do you work with subcontractors. If they say subs, say thanks and go elsewhere.

Do not go to places like Home Depot because they don't tell you they farm out to subs. We did this a few years ago. Yes, large selection and good prices but never fear, you get what you pay for. We like the carpet and we liked (or I liked since I was home when the install took place) the first group to do the main 1st floor were good.

We then ordered the same carpet for the 2nd floor bedrooms/hallway but the two who came to tear out and install were AWFUL. They stunk of cigarettes and smelled up our entire upstairs. They did a terrible job, they made cuts/seams in bad places, they were relunctant helping me & DH putting the rooms back together (and yes they are paid to do this). They snuck out of the house and left when they thought they were finished never having said one word to DH or me they were leaving. DH was home when the 2nd floor was done.

DH and I moved the furn back into the master bdrm ourselves, went into one of the other bdrms only to find the 2 yahoos left without saying anything to us.

So, pick & choose wisely when you buy your new carpeting and ASK about the installers.  Stairs are very tricky too to make sure they're done properly. We did not have our stairs done, didn't plan to, still your installers need to know how to install properly.

Super Contributor

I tried to use Home Depot several years ago.  They required payment for a "free" estimate, stating the fee would be put toward the carpet should I buy from them.  Lowes was the same.  After 4 weeks, Home Depot never came out to do the estimate.  I quickly chose another company so it could be done prior to moving into my new (to me) house.  New flooring for the entire house was done, over 1800 square feet.  I never got a refund for my "free" estimate from Home Depot either.  This time,  wanting to only do my second floor and stairs, I took time to look around.  I chose Floors N More.  Not sure if they are only local or national chain.  I cannot say enough about their selection, installation and pricing.  They really worked with me on the price, upgraded the pad and were very professional.  I would encourage you to look at carpet stores, get their comparisons before making any final decision.