Honored Contributor

Re: What Changes Do You Plan For Your Home This Year?

I'm going to need to buy a new furnace so while I'm at it I'll get a new A/C to go with it.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My deck replacement is past due. Wish I could afford that maintenance-free stuff so it's going to be done with pre-treated wood instead. Should be okay and besides it wouldn't be cost-effective to go with the expensive stuff. Tight budget and it's just me here.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee,I'd LOVE that!  DH (alis "Nature Boy:") won't do it because he feels it wouldn't look right on our cedar house!  Grrrrr.......  My reply..."It's in back!".

The pre-treated lumber that I saw at Home Depot looked like redwood to me. In fact, I walked right past the entire section of it when I was directed to look for the pre-treated wood. I always thought pre-treated wood was a greenish color. Not so much anymore! It looks just like redwood. @ECBG

@SilleeMee  I had to have the top board of my railing replaced last summer with pre-treated wood.  It wasn't red.  It just looked like a very light wood.  It did have a slight greenish tinge.  They had to wait a few months before staining it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My deck replacement is past due. Wish I could afford that maintenance-free stuff so it's going to be done with pre-treated wood instead. Should be okay and besides it wouldn't be cost-effective to go with the expensive stuff. Tight budget and it's just me here.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee,I'd LOVE that!  DH (alis "Nature Boy:") won't do it because he feels it wouldn't look right on our cedar house!  Grrrrr.......  My reply..."It's in back!".

The pre-treated lumber that I saw at Home Depot looked like redwood to me. In fact, I walked right past the entire section of it when I was directed to look for the pre-treated wood. I always thought pre-treated wood was a greenish color. Not so much anymore! It looks just like redwood. @ECBG

@SilleeMee  I had to have the top board of my railing replaced last summer with pre-treated wood.  It wasn't red.  It just looked like a very light wood.  It did have a slight greenish tinge.  They had to wait a few months before staining it.

There must be different colors in pre-treated wood. When I asked the Home Depot guy about it he said they didn't carry the greenish stuff anymore. The 'redwood' was the only stuff in their store. @NickNack I like the red a lot more than the green. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't have any plans, but forgot I bought new lights for outside the house.  Need to wait until May before it's warm enough to do it.  

Valued Contributor

Currently updating a bathroom. 

Respected Contributor

A new porch door. It is a Sears forever door. It is very heavy and we all have a problem with it including company. DH says it is fine. This year it will be the usual yard work which we both like. 

Valued Contributor

Many things on my list,

#1....backyard fence will be replaced this spring....for sure.. falling down in places...

#2 .. paint the bathroom and replace the light fixture.

#3... replace ceiling fan in living room...making an awful noise when on..

#4... new flooring in the spare bedroom...getting rid of old carpet and putting down vinyl plank.

#5....new window installed in bathroom...(hopefully, but pretty expensive)

Hopefully these things will get done this year, but the fence is number one, for sure...

Lots of work and lots of money...but will be nice when done.

Honored Contributor

this years projects (getting estimates now):

Full house painting including removal of "popcorn" ceilings

Replacing kitchen, den & utility pantry flooring with tile that looks like wood planks.

im already dreading the dust!!! After this 

carpets cleaned and other tile areas steam cleaned

another "excuse" for no big Spring cleaning!! 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG, I'm not sure if you are much of a social media person but if you are, you have got to follow Eggnog the Bulldog on Instagram.  There are actually 2 that are "sisters."  Eggnog and Igloo.  Adorable. 

As far as what we are planning, we are going to finish up our kitchen, which we have done totally backwards as far as the remodel.  We had no granite counters done last year and the backsplash done in July.  Then the week before x-mas we had new flooring put in.

We need to paint the ceiling and we are going to do wainscoting along the bottom of the walls and paint the top half of the walls.  Obviously, that should have been done before anything else.  LOL  We are also going to get new hardware for our cabinets and new woodwork.  Then our kitchen will be totally done!