Honored Contributor

Well, put up the few fall decorations I have

and DH took the slider swing off the deck. I got the broom and swept the leaves that have fallen so far. Pretty soon he'll have to get the leaves up and get the flower pots back into the shed. Too big and heavy for me to lift. So, bye to another year already, almost.

Anyone else wrapping up for the season today?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Well, put up the few fall decorations I have

We have a pond in our backyard that is home to a few fish.  We've had the net over the pond for awhile now to keep the leaves out.  I pulled all the impatiens out from the rocks on both sides of the waterfall as all that was left were green stems.  I've slowed down feeding the fish ~ they like to come out at night and eat algae off the rocks when the water temperature drops a bit.

This weekend we're going to start our first round of leaf clean-up.  We have lots of trees (thankfully ~ love them) so it's a pretty big job. 

I don't mind winter coming but I do miss sitting out back watching the birds and feeding the fish.  Another Spring will be here soon, though ~ after all, time flies...

Respected Contributor

My flowers have gotten a second wind and are looking good again, so I'm dragging my feet but I should pull them up before heading south.
Honored Contributor

We are leaving our summer camp for our home in Florida tomorrow. My DH just dumped out all the flower pots, over the hillside behind our site where it is wooded. He keeps hopeing they will seed out and next year there will be petunias growing in the woods.I don't have the heart to tell him it won't happen. when we get home I will put out a few decorations for fall inside the house and a harvest slate and my witch flag outside.

Honored Contributor

We try to wait a little longer. It is kind of nice here this week. I mow over the leaves every week to keep them mulched up and have less raking, and wait until November when all the perenials are completely dead to cut them back. Still too nice here to dismantle the deck, as we can sit out a few hours in the nicer weather.

Trusted Contributor

Here in Texas we are still waiting for Fall, but a recent spell of cooler (!) temperatures and fresh north winds have us anticipating the seasonal change. So, I did get out the big autumnal wreath for the front door and went to Hobby Lobby for some additional decorations to freshen up its look. Then, I bought 2 cute yard decorations for the front approach. Still in the 80s and 90s here so the garden mums and pansies will have to wait.

Trusted Contributor

I only planted flowers in my planters on my deck, and have a couple of hanging ferns.  All still look nice, so they won't go until we have a frost.

As far as the furniture on the deck, it's staying for a while.  I think I sat outside once this summer, since I set it up.  It was just too horribly hot and humid.  Now is the time to use that stuff here.  

We'll put some things away, but I'll probably go outside and sit for a little each day, until they call for the first snow, lol.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

The weather here in the NE has been in the 70's during the day, so I haven't pulled out the annuals yet either. I did buy some potted mums for the front porch. I am going to enjoy what is left of the nice weather for another  week....