Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper I have nothing to add to the good tips you've gotten already....but just wanted to say I feel so badly for you.  I would be thoroughly creeped out too....I sincerely hope you get a new exterminator who can get results.

Hang in there!

Trusted Contributor

The plug in things work good for me. I got some from Amazon

and WM. I have one in every room plus in hubby's shop.

I can't tolerate mice. I know it's silly, but I'm terrified of them.

Trusted Contributor

They don't like peppermint oil, a couple of drops on a cotton ball and place around where you have seen them.  They are finding a place to come in so check carefully all areas.  Try the oil, it does work.

Valued Contributor

Have you plugged in any of those ultrasonic outlet devices yet?

Contributor

My sons house occasionally gets mice inside, he lives near a very wooded area.  His cats are always on the look out for them to catch.  They do not eat them but like to catch and kill them.  Best exterminator I know of !!!!!!!  Get a cat if you're not allergic.  A lot of kittys need homes/

Valued Contributor

Re: Well, mice again!

[ Edited ]

Thanks again everyone for all the great tips and kind words. I so appreciate them.

It's getting more and more frustrating for me. The first time I became aware that I had mice was back on Aug. 19 (they had probably already been here for several weeks). On Sept. 6, caught the last of the mice (2 adults and 8 babies) and thought the nightmare was over since I hadn't seen anything since that time. So it was quite upsetting to see mice running around again this past Friday evening (10/4).

What I really can't understand is why they haven't gone into any of my traps as of yet. A few years ago, two came in upstairs in our bathroom. Put out just two traps and they were caught in just a couple of days. End of story. This time there are so many traps out (I don't even know how many--a LOT), so I truly don't understand why I'm not finding any caught in them. I have glue traps, snap traps, and bait traps with poison in every room. Nothing! I haven't seen them anymore but that's because I go upstairs when it gets dark. Frankly I don't want to be sitting on my couch and see the nasty things running across the floor right in front of me. It's really upsetting to me. I know I'm not safe upstairs either, but I feel a little better there than downstairs. Tomorrow my relative who's been helping me is going to try again to find possible entry points to get this stopped. I'm also going to be talking to the pest control company when they open in the morning about coming out. I really need this to end because dealing with this is truly affecting my health.

Oh, before I forget, @giddy up wanted to know if I had tried out any of those ultrasonic devices yet. I have thought about them because several people I know have mentioned them. I'm just not sure about their effectiveness from what I've read. The articles I've come across say that they only work for a little while and then the mice get used to the noise. Sounds like you've had better luck with yours. Could I ask what brand you have?

Honored Contributor

Re: Well, mice again!

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper 

If the mice are not getting into your traps, you need to move the traps around.  

The mice are used to the current locations of the traps, and are purposely avoiding them.   Move some of the traps every day.   

What you are worried about happening with the ultrasonic pest devices, is already happening with your bait traps.  Sounds to me like your mice have a food source in your house, and are not hungry enough for the bait on the traps.   

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

I live in a forest, have 4 cats 🐈 and never a mouse 🐭!

Will rent them out for a small fee!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We have a nice, black snake that stays totally out of the way.  Even though we're surrounded by woods, we have no mice.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Put the mouse traps parallel to the wall, not perpendicular as you'd think.  They seem to have more trouble getting the cheese or peanut butter when the traps are parallel.

We had a major renovation a few years ago, it was getting cold and the mice I think came in the open window the tilers were using.