Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 ,  post your Jack the Cat/mouse story in the Pets forum.

I'd love to read it.  🐁

Honored Contributor

We bait traps with peanut butter or a piece of bacon fat that we sear with a match.   Once that bacon fat is seared, the smell pulls the mice out to find that food source.  

Obviously you have no snakes around your house tho, as they would be taking care of your rodent problem.   

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for replying. I just finished calling an old friend that I haven't spoken to in a while. Because of where her husband works, I thought they might be able to suggest a company. I was actually trying to find someone who could just do a thorough inspecction of the house again to try and find any other entry points, not set up any more traps (I have soooo many out already). They ended up suggesting another pest control company--one where they know the people and trust them, so I'll reach out to them on Monday.

As I said before, I have many, many traps out, baited with peanut butter, as well as poison. I wish something would get caught so I can see if I am still having more babies or if other adults have gotten in. If what I'm having are still babies from the original two adults, then I'd sure like to know where they've been hiding for the last three weeks. They surely had to come out and eat and should have gotten trapped during that time. That's why I'm thinking they're adutls that have since found their way in. I just want this to be over. I haven't had any sleep or hardly any food. I'm staked out in my bedroom (not that it's safe), afraid to go downstairs. Wish this would hurry up and end.

Respected Contributor

You can set as many traps as you want, but unless you plug the place they are getting in you will never win the battle.

Respected Contributor

Traps will NOR solve the problem. Call an exterminator qnd find the entries. Then get a cat.

Trusted Contributor

i was wondering how you made out!! i commented on your post over a week ago wondering what ever happened... keep us updated... sorry your going through this...  you'd think if they patched up all entry ways and any holes they wouldn't be getting in......... good luck  keep us informed......

Honored Contributor

When winter approaches,  as in now, I put out boxes of Decon poison in the garage and on my pantry shekves.  That seems to take care of them.  

I had one once that I think came in through the dog door.  That little devil had the audacity to sit on a table a foot from my elbow and stare at me.  He got his own private dose of Decon.  I now block the dog door at night.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper  I hope you're doing better, and the new pest control company has found the problem.  In my area of our county, we have a real rodent problem, mostly because of so much building demolitions and new buildings going up.  I have a family owned pest control company who just recently started coming to my house monthly, instead of the bi-monthly schedule I was on.  When he was coming bi-monthly, the outside bait stations around my house were completely empty!  Yikes!  The monthly visits are working much better.  Inside my house, we have the small bait stations under the kitchen sink, den, and two in the basement near the basement door.  Just the basement door stations have been nibbled on.  And the ones outside around my house have been nibbled.  This really gives me peace of mind.  The pest contol person said this is the time of year they try to get in, plus the fact we haven't had any rain, and that makes them want to come in too.  

Respected Contributor

Mice start breeding when they are 4-6 weeks old.  Chances are that you now have the second generation running loose.  Hopefully you can get them before they do any more breeding.

Contributor

A couple of things.  Make sure barbecue grill and drip pan clean.  They love grease.  Also, make sure garbage cans do not have drain holes.  They love garbage.  Look for any possible openings and fill with steel wool.  I had them once and captured over 22 with the sticky trap.  I know not the most humane but considering disease from mice droppings I had to do it.  We finally conquered the invaders.  Just have to take away what they are drawn to.