Esteemed Contributor

Well, Nuts and No Christmas !!

As my mother used to always say. My dryer died last night and I spent this morning at the laundromat. Hate that. The repair man is coming Monday am, but depending on what he says: the dilemma: Our w/d set is 13 years old. My dh and I decided if it was more than $200 to repair we would just replace it. But...here's the thing (MB), I believe we should replace both of them at the same time and donate the washer. It would just be our luck that the washer will be next to go. What do you think?

Have a Beautiful And Blessed Day

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, Nuts and No Christmas !!

First, I guess it depends on your finances.  If that isn't a problem and since your set is 13 years old, it might be wise to buy a matching set.  Also, if your machines are in view, I would want a matching set.  I have a utility room in my house up north and no one sees that room.  I have always just replaced whichever appliance was in need of replacing. 

One other word of recommendation, for what it is worth, buy a top loader with an agitator.  I have had a front loader and my clothes always smelled.  Also, it is hard to find a washer that you can stop in the middle of a cycle or just let your clothes soak without it draining out.  I am sure that someone that has never done laundry thought that one up.

Good luck with how ever it turns out.  Putting $200 into a 13 year old appliance might be better spent towards a new one.  The less bells and whistles, the better, and the lower the price tag. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I think that if you want a matching set then replace the dryer but I have to say that there isn't much that can go wrong with them.My husband has replaced the belt in ours once and he said it wasn't that much trouble.As far as the new washers go though I have to say that they are a big disappointment.I am on my second one in six years because they get stinky and moldy inside.They don't completely drain and so there is always a little sour water in them.They also use very little water to wash and sometimes I look in the machine and clothes are above the water level...how clean is that? My son has the cheap old style machine that we bought for him eight years ago and it runs like a champion.He has water levels to choose from and his clothes always smelll clean where mine can be musty.

Honored Contributor

With dryers, the problem is either the heating element or control panel.  Between the service call and the required part, I would expect to pay $200 easy for the repair.   

If it is important to you for the washer and dryer to match, then I would go with the plan of buying a new set and donating the washer.   My washer and dryer haven't matched for 12 years.   

Trusted Contributor

I was making the same decision that you are now making (about 5 years ago) when I had a problem with my washer.  I put a figure on the amount that I would pay to have it fixed.  Luckily, it was not an expensive reapair, but when I shared this figure that I had in my head with my repair person, he told me that everyone thinks that new washers and dryers are the answer.  He shared that the washer and dryer I have (now 20 years old) were built much better than many of the new models.   A few years later, I had a timer problem with my dryer.  I decided to watch a lot of online videos and fixed the timer myself.

Everyone's issues and circumstances are different.  Hopefully, your dilemma works itself out.  I still eye those washer/dryer sets out in retail!

Respected Contributor

Boy, I hate when that happens too.  When my first dryer broke years ago, the guy only had to replace a switch (it wouldn't turn on).  That was a hundred bucks.  The set was a Whirlpool from 1991 that the guy said would be better than any of the new ones which are often foreighn made junk. Years later (at the age of 20) the washer went bad (really bad), so I replaced them both, even though the dryer was still working.  At 13 years, I'd consider replacing both.  I still use the top loading kind, and would never invest big bucks in one of those front loaders.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

If you can afford it...buy both...thats what i would do ...call it a "fresh start" in the laundry room....lol...

(for years I had to go to the laundromat...I can't begin to tell you how much i hated going there...so glad i have an apartment with a full basement ...and my own washer and dryer now....)

Good luck with whatever decision you make...

Honored Contributor

So sorry about the dryer, and the trip to the laundromat. I go when I have to, but they skeeve me out!

If it were me, and I had the funds to replace both, and it mattered to me that they match, I'd just get it over with. If you are a little more frugal, or if funds aren't exactly flowing for you, I'd have no reason to replace the washer. 

I rarely have matching machines, although they are always both white in color. It simply doesn't matter to me that they match. Also, I rarely find the features I want on both machines made by the same company or of the same model. I choose each appliance based on it having the features I need or want, rather than it matching it's partner. 

The important thing I would be considering if I were deciding in replacing the washer now or later, would be that if I want a full filling washer with an agitator, they are getting really hard to find. I'd scope that out, and perhaps get it now before they are no longer available.

Good luck in the search, and let us know what you choose!

Respected Contributor

If it's that old, I would just buy a new one.  My dryer went out a couple of years ago and I replaced it - the washer is still going strong at 13 (fingers crossed).  I wouldn't replace washer until you need to, might have a couple of good years left depending on how often you use it. 

Super Contributor

In November, my dryer quit working and after some research, I purchased a new one, thinking that I would replace the washer when it died. The originals were 20 years old.   However, after the holidays I decided that I would watch the pricing on a matching new washer and lo and behold, I found the matching washer at a really good price and decided to order.  As I am typing this I am waiting for it to be delivered.  I decided at a certain point, its time to replace.  I love the dryer, by the way.