Valued Contributor

Weird place to find termites

[ Edited ]

I live in a very old house which has the type of basement that they used to pour coal into (very old!). There are no drains but there are some cracks in the floor where a little bit of water comes up from the ground when it rains. Lately things have happened that have brought in more water than usual--a leaking furnace in March and a water pipe in February. Just mentioning those things as possible reasons termites might have shown up.

Anyway, I haven't had an exterminator come out yet (just discovered this last night) to confirm that what I've found are termites, but I'm fairly sure they are. What's weird is where I found them. I have a freezer down there which needs defrosting from time to time, so I keep a metal 9 x 13 baking pan up on a table by the freezer to drain the water in. That pan was where they were! It was full of dead bugs--some still with their wings on and others without. Can't figure out why they would be inside that metal pan. Can't wait to hear an explanation from the exterminator. Last year I had to deal with mice that got into the house from the basement, now termites! Guess I know where my stimulus money is going!

Respected Contributor

Re: Weird place to find termites

Yes, those old houses seem to have things just happen. I was speaking to a friend the other day. She lives in an old stone house. She was sitting in the kitchen and out of nowhere, a baby squirrel jumped from somewhere onto her kitchen counter and then took off. She has no idea where it went or how it got in. She's just hoping it went back outside so her cat won't catch it.

Esteemed Contributor

Bugs need water too.   Once in a while I find an ant in my bathroom sink - or tub - or in my dental Waterpik water container. 

Apparently there was moisture or dampness in your pan at one time - bugs seek out water wherever they can find it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know squat about what kind of bugs they are but you stirred my memory bank of when I was growing up and the coal truck would come and open a trap door right in front of the front porch and pour coal down a chute into the basement coal bin. Sometimes my parents would be out at night and call me to go check the furnace and shovel some coal in if needed. I would be so scared going down in that creepy basement by myself. I always felt like something bad was breathing on the back of my neck!! You never saw anybody move so fast as when I flew back up the steps and slammed that basement door shut and locked it. OMG I hadn't thought of that in years. Thanks for the memory!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl --I'm lucky. I don't remember ever seeing coal poured in. They must have stopped that before I came along. But, I can understand about feeling creeped out by being in the basement. Ours can give me the same feeling from time to time.

@catter70 --That squirrel would have scared the heck out of me! Who would ever expect to see one pop of inside your friend's kitchen. Wow!

@fthunt --I wondered about any water still being in the pan to attract them, but it hasn't been used in over a month. So, who knows?

I've got an appointment Monday with the exterminator. Can't wait for the bad news about the costs. I just can't believe how many things have gone wrong with this house since my Mom died two years ago and left it to me. All the years we lived here, nothing really major happened. But after she was gone, had a leaking water pipe, leaking furnace, kitchen and bathroom faucets needing replacing, mice infestation last year, and now termites. (Other little things as well.) I'm just having a very hard time paying for all of this.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper  Before you take the word of the exterminator, are you aware of the difference between flying ants and termites?  

How to Get Rid of Flying Ants

An easy way to remember it is, "Your aunt (ant) has a waist." 

Good luck to you!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

I will be surprised if your bugs turn out to be termites.   

We have had termites appear twice, and they were an active colony, found in wood.   The first time was 7 years after we built the house, and my husband found them in our floor joists, in the crawl space.   We could smell them, as they give off an ammonia related smell.  

There were tree roots left in the ground under the crawl space, which is what drew the termites to begin with, and they found their way up the support piers to the floor joists.  We paid for whole house treatment at that point, pay a yearly fee, and have a yearly inspection.  

About 10 years ago, our exterminator found termites outside in the treated wood we put down as edging.   Treatment for that was covered under our warranty.   

Honored Contributor

Our termites were diagnosed as carpenter ants. For one thing, the climate here in the UP won't support termites. Never thought I would be relieved to have carpenter ants.

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG --I had found these images on the computer before posting and actually took a magnifying glass down to the basement to look at them. As far as I can tell, I'd have to say they are termites. I had thought that my mom hadn't had a problem with them when she was here, but just found out tonight from my cousin that she had sprayed around the house for them. Don't know how many years ago, but I was completely unaware of it.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper   Ouch.  I was hoping for an easier solution for you. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.