Contributor

Has anyone tried sleeping with a weighted blanket?  I'm desperate to try anything short of sleeping pills to improve my sleep.  Do they require a break-in period?  Or are they just another fad?

Valued Contributor

Too hot and to heavy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sis , I am in Canada FYI.  I saw them at Costco last week.  I was surprised at how heavy they are.  If you are a member, check your Costco store.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Big SisNever tried one of those, but I do know even on the hottest nights, I do need some cover on me if I want to sleep and I know I keep my heavy winter comforter on the bed many weeks longer in both spring and fall than many of my friends do.

Esteemed Contributor

I can not stand anything heavy on me when I sleep. Saw them at Target. They are very heavy. 

Honored Contributor

@Big Sis,  I have the "Blanquil" 15 pound blanket (the lightest one I could find) with removable cover, that I got at QVC.

I'm always skeptical of trendy things like this, but, I knew that I find a gentle weight comforting, like when they put heated blankets on you in the hospital before surgery!  Or when a snuggly kitty climbs on top of you.

It absolutely has helped with insomnia for me, at least.  I'm much more likely to drift off relatively quickly.  There is just something soothing about it, not oppressive at all.  It's a little warmer now that it's summer, but with air conditioning I can use it easily.

These blankets have been used therapeutically to reduce anxiety, and I can well say that they might have that effect as well. 

Hope your insomnia eases, whatever you decide to do.  Good luck!

Super Contributor

My daughter has one.  She says its the only thing that helps her sleep at night.  She has rheumatoid arthritis and the weight / warmth helps.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure if they are just the latest fad or not.  I would not have bought one except that 2 co-workers said they had them and thought they were helpful.  One of them has a dog that gets on her bed at night so she mainly uses hers for naps on the couch.  Says she loves it for that.  

I use mine when I first go to bed to get warm, but in this heat have to take it off for sleep even with the AC on.  In the early hours of the morning when it cools off, I might pull it back on and do sleep deeply then.  But is that due to the blanket or cooling off or my sleep pattern, I don't know.  I think the weight feels good, but guess I can't say about helping with sleep until I can use it all night.  

Mine is a Rocabi and think it is about 12 lbs.  So you do have to be able to manage the weight if you're removing it to wash sheets, etc.  

Super Contributor

Re: Weighted blanket

[ Edited ]

I use a 20# weighted blanket and I really like it.  Mine is WarmHug Weight Blanket from Amazon.

The weight of the blanket is related to your own body weight so if you do buy one, be sure to get the weight approriate for you.  In fact, the formula I've heard is 10% of your body weight plus one pound. 

Also note, that they aren't intended to drape over the bed like traditional blankets, more just to cover the area where your body will be, so don't be surprised if you get one and see it is "smaller" than you expected.  I use mine under my light quilt, looks fine, works just as well.  

I find it to be very comforting and calming, which in turn helps me fall asleep easier. 

I do not like to sleep hot, and so far, even during this recent heat wave, I've remained comfortable.  This surprises me, but mine has glass beads for fill so maybe they help with cooling....? 

I'm a chronic poor sleeper, so with a combination of things, I do ok most nights now.  I'm sure they're not for everyone, but I like mine.  Woman Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

I use a 20# weighted blanket and I really like it.  Mine is WarmHug Weight Blanket from Amazon.

The weight of the blanket is related to your own body weight so if you do buy one, be sure to get the weight approriate for you.  In fact, the formula I've heard is 10% of your body weight plus one pound. 

Also note, that they aren't intended to drape over the bed like traditional blankets, more just to cover the area where your body will be, so don't be surprised if you get one and see it is "smaller" than you expected.  I use mine under my light quilt, looks fine, works just as well.  

I find it to be very comforting and calming, which in turn helps me fall asleep easier. 

I do not like to sleep hot, and so far, even during this recent heat wave, I've remained comfortable.  This surprises me, but mine has glass beads for fill so maybe they help with cooling....? 

I'm a chronic poor sleeper, so with a combination of things, I do ok most nights now.  I'm sure they're not for everyone, but I like mine.  Woman Happy

@Catlady Nicole  Thank you for mentioning your body weight and how it plays into picking out the blanket. No one ever talks about this and it is key.