Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding china compromise

How many servings do you have for the full set?

I would keep at least service for 8.  Seven is an odd number.  If need to donate it or sell it in the future, at least you have 8, which is what most sets come in anyway.

Get rid of all the glassware and other pieces you don't want or need.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you enjoy and use it now? If not, I would donate. If you do choose to keep some pieces for yourself and are donating, it will not matter to people if it’s an odd number or a full set.

ETA:  I just read your most recent reply. I would definitely not keep it, but donate or try to sell.  When possessions start to feel like obligations, I think it’s time to let them go.

Respected Contributor

I don't know how old you are which makes a difference in my answer.  If you are under 35, keep it all for at least 10 more years and USE it when you can.  If you are over 45, donate it all.  Your lifestyle and tastes are pretty much set and if you don't like it or use it now, you probably never will.

Honored Contributor

I loved my mom, and her good china is pretty, but I will never use it. I don’t give large dinner parties and my style is casual. I think you and I should donate. My question is is this a donation that is wanted ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

OP here:

I should have mentioned if I keep it all it will have to be boxed up and stored somewhere.  The set is very complete full china, service ware, sugar bowl/creamer, stemware from red and white wine, water, cordials and parfait cups.

Unfortunately I do not like it enough for daily use and due to the platinum and hand painted design it is not designed for daily use and microwave or DW use.

If I kept a small amount of it we would probably use it regularly, but not daily.

It does sound like it is an all or nothing choice based on the replies here.

Since you do not like it enough to use it daily, then donate it.   If it is a complete set, anywhere that it is donated will have it set up on a dining table and make it look very pretty.  Someone will then have the opportunity to enjoy it.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Will you actually use any of the dishes or will you just store them? I say keep a select few pieces and donate the rest. And use it right now !!! Why save it for just certain occasions . And I disagree about people wanting to buy a full set of dishes only---maybe someone needs only a plate or 2. I have Princess House crystal dinnerware that I never use and will be donating soon. My BF sold her moms china and got a few hundred $ for the set. 

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I was in a situation where I only had 2 weeks to clean out my mom's house.  There was just too much to keep - so my siblings & I chose what we wanted - and then we donated & gave away the rest.  It was very emotional so if you're not pressured for time choose what you really want & remember there is someone who can always use what you don't.  Battered womens shelters, certain churches & local "Samaritan" centers are always in need of quality items.

Super Contributor

I am sorry that no one in your family wants it.  I am so sentimental, I would not be able to give it up in my lifetime.  I also understand the need to downsize.  How about keeping two place settings?  You and your husband can use it on occasion, it wouldn't take up too much room, and you would still have something to remind you of your mom and the memories of the occasions the china was used.  The rest could be consigned, sold, donated--your choice.

Honored Contributor

If you really want to keep some of it, Then do that. If you don't like,it or will not use it, sell it.

For the pieces you don't want or need, I'd check with Replacements, LTD either by phone or via their website.

They buy most good used China.  People who are looking for replacement pieces will appreciate the chance to complete their much loved settings.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla , the price for real sterling silver!  My MIL was a dishes nut.  When I moved to our retirement home, we did a fragile pack meaning the movers packed dishes, art, mirrors, etc.  They said they had never seen so many dishes.  I have since gotten rid of a lot.

My MIL had a large silver bowl that Birk’s appraised at $5,000 30 years ago.  The one thing I didn’t want from her estate was dishes lol.  LM