Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding china compromise

NOTE:  I have kept some of the salad plates of various sets.  They are useful for desserts and salads and don't take up lots of space.

Creamers hold small makeup brushes or forks.  Sauce boats are useful for gravy and sauces and salad dressings. Small dishes serve ice cream and salsas, and m&m's and candies!  Big bowls are good for fruit and potato chips.

Trusted Contributor

Donate it and quit worrying about it.  Every estate sale and garage sale I go to has at least one set of china.  It just doesn't sell.  The next generation has such a casual lifestyle that they are simpy not interested. 

That being said, my neice went to Goodwill and bought mismatched pieces of china that she uses for everyday.  It makes a charming table.  

Honored Contributor

I'm a big believer in compromise. 

You want something and you need something else. 

You need to downsize, you want to keep something. 

I've done exactly what you describe in your OP. I've not been willing to completely give up some sets of dishes that go back to my childhood, and I will (and do) still use them. So my compromise was to go from service for 12, with three of every accessory (platters, vegetable bowls, creamers, sugars, gravy boats etc.) down to service for 8 and only two of each accessory. 

That now fits where I need it to, and it still gives me room should be actually downsize our living space in the future, to go down to service for 6 or even 4, yet still have my treasured dishes. 

I think the whole downsizing, purging thing can get way out of hand. Some people need to or really want to go full force. But for many of the rest of us, it is something we will do in stages as life changes occur, as we continue to enjoy our things.

Honored Contributor

I think people have a hard time getting rid of things because they feel like they're dishonoring someone's memory.

I'm not so attached to items as others seem to be.  It gives me no pleasure to hold on to things and try to find a place to keep it all.  I still have the memory without all the clutter.  

Respected Contributor

@Somertime   I absolutely LOVE your idea of using it everyday.  Why not get the enjoyment?  And,   if something breaks,  it breaks.  Sometimes people bury things in boxes and they are so afraid to use them because of the sentiment or value.  What good is that.  I LOVE THIS IDEA, and you have inspired me to pull out some of the things that I have stored in my basement that I never use.  THANK YOU.

Respected Contributor

OP here again.

I agree with what many have said here, use (whatever it is) everyday even if in an unconventional way.  I use cake stands to display a collection of pins and brooches in my dressing area.

As many have said china is worth pennies on the dollar.  No one wants huge sets of fancy china that can not go in the microwave or dishwasher.  My BF husband buys china sets at estate auctions all the time because his family valued fine china.  His most recent score:  he bought a service for 24 still in the wood shipping crate from Europe for $18  It is beautiful.  To his point you can not buy disposable service-ware for full meal for $18   There children have visions of hauling this all to the dump someday!

I have found I have no sentimental attachment my parents china as I do not think they ever used it.  Until my mother hauled it to my house and opened it, I could not tell you what it looked like!

I do have heirloom pieces from both sides of my family that go back generations and carry a story and I am very sentimental about. Those pieces I care a lot about and keep out. The rest is just stuff.

Honored Contributor

I would either keep it all or donate it all.  You have to decide if you like it or not.  If you don't really like it, and don't plan to use it, and are just keeping it for sentimental reasons,  keep one place setting for the memories.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I think people have a hard time getting rid of things because they feel like they're dishonoring someone's memory.

I'm not so attached to items as others seem to be.  It gives me no pleasure to hold on to things and try to find a place to keep it all.  I still have the memory without all the clutter.  

Me too.  I'm not attached to stuff. I think it really bugs my mother that I don't want the things she has saved forever.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Me too.  I'm not attached to stuff. I think it really bugs my mother that I don't want the things she has saved forever.

Believe me - I know how that is.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Believe me - I know how that is.

Smiley Happy

Me, too.  I anger my mother a lot.  The things I do want she won't part with and gets mad when I don't want other things.  I know the things that bring me happy memories and they aren't just having "stuff".

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."