Respected Contributor

Looking for votes or suggestions.

I have my parents wedding china and DH and I are looking to downsize.

We have no one to leave the china to and no one in the family wants it.

So my compromise was that we keep a complete place-setting for 7.  We never have more than 6 guests at a time for a sit down meal and if we do- "oh well"   

My thought was we will have 6 placesettings with one extra of everything in case of breakage.  

The rest we donate.

Some say keep it all or donate it all.  Thoughts? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Wedding china compromise

I'm so sentimental about things like that........I would probably keep it all ~

Sorry!!!!  I'm no help at all Heart

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

St this point in my life I would say donate it all...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl : do you have your own china? Service for how many? When was it last used?

I ditched my own china and many other table settings two moves ago Never looked back.

My sister has (had?) my grandparents' Limoges. No one has ever seen it. My mother kept it boxed for years as she had her own pattern. Her father was an importer. Mom gave it to my sister, who never cooks and never had a dining room. She sells on the bay all the time, so the china might be long gone.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to keep one place setting IF you have some place to display and enjoy it on a daily basis. If not, take pictures and let it go. If in perfect condition you MIGHT be able to sell it. Have you looked into replacements.com to sell?

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Either donate the entire set or keep the entire set.  People who look for china in consignment shops or antique shops want a full set.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I know what you are going through. I say donate it all. One less thing to deal with and worry about. 

I have about 10 Rubbermaid tubs of crystal, china, handpainted dishes and glass dishes from my Mom. I used to donate to a local store that employed the homeless and all proceeds went to the homeless, Well, the store and it contents went to Sheriff Sale about 3 months ago.

And even Goodwill was not accepting donations when I last went there.

I have my own china, crystal and Lenox that I no longer use. So I don't have the option to donate. And yes I looked into Replacements. They offered me $1 for a solid sterling silver knife or serving spoon. I forget what they offered for the other spoons and forks. Not worth the postage. Hate to see it melted down. It is a pretty pattern.

Respected Contributor

I would keep it and I would use it often, not, just, "special" occasions especially if you like it.  I have my grandmother's china, service for 12.  I use it all the time and get tremendous joy from it.  As a child, all my birthdays were with this china as well as every single holiday.  Brings back so many wonderful memories.  I was determined to make use of this and not save it, I wanted the enjoyment of it.  I have her silver as well which I use every single day and yes, I put it in the dishwasher, too.  Yes, the china is on the formal side but that doesn't matter to me, I've even used it for a regular family dinner during the week because I wanted something pretty on the table.  But I am attached and very sentimental, so I couldn't bear the thought of selling it to strangers.  No, I don't worry if something breaks because with service for 12, there is plenty left over and no, nothing has broken in all these years even though I put it in the dishwasher as well!

Regular Contributor

I agree with the suggestion to use it. I thnk it would bring a smile to your face.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with others, why not enjoy it even if just for Sunday dinners?

Not everyone wants a complete set. I sold a couple of serving pieces I no longer used on ebay. Check out pricing on ebay before you decide to discard it all.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

OP here:

I should have mentioned if I keep it all it will have to be boxed up and stored somewhere.  The set is very complete full china, service ware, sugar bowl/creamer, stemware from red and white wine, water, cordials and parfait cups.

Unfortunately I do not like it enough for daily use and due to the platinum and hand painted design it is not designed for daily use and microwave or DW use.

If I kept a small amount of it we would probably use it regularly, but not daily.

It does sound like it is an all or nothing choice based on the replies here.