Respected Contributor

Re: We Paid Off Our Mortgage Today!

thats got to be an awesome feeling. i remember paying off car loans and being so happy to have them gone so .a morgage must be a real big releaf.

Trusted Contributor

Congrats...

I know that is a big accomplishments.

I have about 5 years to go then DONE!!!! Then I will have "retirement" OPTIONS!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

Make sure your paid-off mortgage and your deed are duly recorded  in your proper name at your local courthouse.  Lenders do not always do this once you've satisfied the debt, although they should.

I sold real estate for many years, and am married to someone who didn't record his deeds for land parcels that had been paid off years before I discovered his carelessness.  He bought this stuff before we were married, so I didn't know much until it was time to sell it

This  unrecorded deed issue caused me no end of hassle, expense and time to get those deeds recorded in two different counties--- many states away from where we lived., so that we could sell those land parcels without any hitches.

Do whatever it takes in your jurisdiction to make sure that the mortgage is recorded as paid, indicating that you have clear title to the property without question.

This assures no aggravation and a loose end that needs closure for you or your family and eventual heirs.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  Thank you for the great advice.  I will definitely take care of this!  I did call the mortgage company to make sure that the payment went through and it did.  At least one thing off of my mind!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop, I´m sure your kids had a good time @ Ponderosa. In the 90´s people loved that place.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations @SXMGirl 

Image result for champagne toast

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I LOVED Ponderosa!

When I paid off my mortgage, I immediately set up an automatic debit into a money market fund for the same amount.  I use this fund for repairs, insurance, taxes and general upkeep and as a sinking fund for new appliances when needed.

I was living without this money before, so I decided not to get used to living with it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Sage04@VaBelle35,

Yes, Ponderosa was very popular in this area of WV in 1992, and my girls loved eating there.  At that time this area mainly offered Hardee’s, McDonalds, Wendy’s, Long John Silvers, KFC, Western Sizzlin and Ponderosa.   

Paying off our mortgage ASAP was #1 priority from the day we decided to build the house.   My husband lost his high paying job in the coal mines 5 years in, and we still paid our full payment every month even though it took 10 months for him to find another job.   

Our girls were 10 and 14 when they witnessed the paying off of the mortgage; they understood it was a big deal, and worthy of a celebration.   It remains a strong memory for both girls to this day, and they are even more amazed to know my husband and I were the exact age they are right now when we paid off this house!