Honored Contributor

Re: We Paid Off Our Mortgage Today!

Congratulations! 

This has to be such a great feeling! We are scheduled to be paid off by 2026, and while that seem a long way off, it really isn't and I can't wait. (well, I can wait, because I don't want to wish my life away, but it will be a welcome day, for sure!)

Honored Contributor

Major accomplishment! Congratulations! That is huge....My girlfriend and her husband just paid off their mortgage last year, and she said it felt so freeing!

Respected Contributor

WooHoo Congratulations!!! It is a great feeling. 

I paid mine off early a few years ago, and started maxing out my 401k contributions with the added money.  I'm still about 5 or 6 years away from retirement, but I feel much better about having more money in the 401k and no debt.

Esteemed Contributor

What a great feeling!!! We did the same thing last fall. Finally, I didn't have to worry about the roof over our heads...YIPPEE!!! Now, we can have trees taken down and fence expanded and the list goes on and on. I'm determined to get the house in shape like we want it to be now that it's just us and the dogs. 

Enjoy you months of no mortgage payment. Just and FYI but checkk with your insurance company re fire insurance and you tax offices to make sure they have the revised info. In our situation not all were notified of the change and it seemed to vary which office had what iformation. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  While I wish that I considered the house a money pit because I always want to do something special, this past year has been one thing after another.  Just this year, we redid the garage (I wanted this); found mold in the basement, which had to be removed at a very large cost; put in new windows, put in a new fireplace insert, which had to be special ordered because they only make one in the entire universe that would work with our fittings (really?); and now, our kitchen floor is coming apart because of what we think is a leak somewhere in the dishwasher (DH insists that he can find it, but it has been 6 weeks and we still cannot find it--no plumber for DH!).  So, I am now hoping to get a plumber and then on to a new dishwasher (ours is 18 years old, so got my monies worth) and a new floor. 

Thank goodness the house is now paid off!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

That is wonderful. Home ownership is accomplishing a goal for many. I made sure my mortgage was paid off prior to retirement. It is definitely a reason to celebrate, but it appears some people are so nasty that they choose to criticize how others wish to celebrate a happy occassion. Maybe they will never pay off a mortgage, makes one wonder. 

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

This is the first pre-owned home I've owned.  I gave myself a "budget" to do upgrades when I bought it.  

Been here little over 6 years and the "wish" list grows.  So far, replaced windows w/hurricane code style, roof, new kitchen & redid guest bath, new flooring in all rooms, new plumbing, water heater & ac unit, house painted and the list goes on😉.

This year I knew what I wanted to do but spouse feels we've spent enough.  I wanted our master bath remodeled but $$$$ was shocking...2020 I'll work on him😉.

I wanted to buy all new furniture since I didn't buy quality nor did I buy for "my taste" now. My spouse just shakes his head -- he is content with what we have🤷‍♀️☹️

It's still awesome you met your goal 🏠🏠🏠!  

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Congratulations!  Give yourselves a pat on the back.

We paid ours off several years ago & it certainly brings some peace of mind.  I hope you feel the same way.  A nice feeling of accomplishment & be proud of.

Respected Contributor

We did that many years ago.  What a blessing!!  We decided to continue to take  the mortgage payment and put that amount into savings.  This is what we use for home improvements and wonderful vacations.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3,

Yes, back in 1992 when my mortgage was paid off, eating at Ponderosa was a celebration!