Valued Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal....Does anyone care

I inherited my husbands first (deceased) wife’s set of goblets. I think we have used them once or twice.

Honored Contributor

I inherited a service for 12 of fine china when I married - we rarely used it. When we retired I gave it to my niece. I got crystal glasses as wedding gift from my folks and I still have them, and I use them  here in Florida as we do have cocktail parties every week followed by going out to dinner. I have water glasses, wine - small & large - old fashioned glasses & champagne flutes. I also bought for myself some margarita glasses.

Esteemed Contributor

I do have some Waterford but I probably have more Baccarat and Lalique though. A couple of years ago I bought a beautiful Lalique chandelier off of 1stdibs dot com. I got a great deal on it too. 

I have quite a collection of candlesticks, vases, bowls, etc.. and they aren't hidden away. We use them daily. I am the same way with my china. I have several sets but I use my Royal Tara shamrock patterned china almost daily. 

I don't want to just use this type of stuff once in a while, I want to use it and see it often. I feel like you pay good money for it, why not enjoy it more than just once or twice a year? I feel that way with everything except my crystal glasses and only because of the lead danger. Otherwise I don't believe in just using them for special occasions. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

I love quality items no matter what the medium.

Evine sells Waterford made in Solvenia, the product is not what it was.

Jorge is a pleasure to watch with amazing decorating ideas, kind things to say  and an award winning Wedding dress designer. 

If I'm not mistaken Slovenia is Southern Europe ,I'm not familair with that part of the world. I do know Polish made crystal is just beautiful, but that's Eastern Europe. I guess my point is, Slovenia no doubt makes the crystal to Waterfords specs.and some of it is really well priced, so I'm sure they cut corners. I have Waterdord crystal made in Ireland and it's nice, but I wouldn't say it's beautiful like the Polish crystal my grandmother had. I agree Jorge is quite the designer, I like to watch him too.

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do have some Waterford but I probably have more Baccarat and Lalique though. A couple of years ago I bought a beautiful Lalique chandelier off of 1stdibs dot com. I got a great deal on it too. 

I LOVE both of those brands. Lalique items are works of art- how lovely that you have such a large piece!

And I totally agree with you... use the items, & take time to appreciate their fine craftsmanship & beauty. Most of the brands mentioned are pretty sturdy. Heart

Respected Contributor

I use their biscuit barrels to store my tea bags on the counter...makes me smile everytime I open them.

......You look like I need a drink.....