Esteemed Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal....Does anyone care

I have a few pieces of Waterford that I enjoy tremendously. The bit of sparkle adds something special to my rustic cabin decor.

I also have Waterford lamps in my bedrooms. Great quality that's really hard to come by.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I used to have Waterford.  The "real" Waterford, made in Ireland.

Lismore pattern.

I had my own that I got when I got married (Champagne flutes, wine goblets and water goblets).

Then, my sister and I inherited some from our grandmother, same pattern.  Wine and water goblets.

Then we inherited some (same pattern) from our mom.  Wine and water goblets.  My sister also had double old fashioned glasses that she got when she got married.

Since neither my sister nor I entertain to that level (I'm a paper plates and acrylic glasses kind of girl when we have people over once a year), we sold it all.

I sold some locally in a consignment shop and sold the majority of it on a Facebook yard sale site.

I love the Lismore pattern, but I'm just not a crystal user.

I sold it over a year or so.  In both places, it sold just about immediately.

The only things Waterford/Lismore I have left (and would never get rid of) are a Biscuit Barrel which my mom gave me for Christmas one year and salt and pepper shakers my sister gave me for being in her wedding.

I love that you have those special pieces that hold such dear memories and meaning for you!

I do have a question though, for people who really like something (like you did your crystal), but find they don't use it for it's intended purpose (lots of pieces would have meant you needed to host events and set a certain table to use them, and you just don't do that, so I get it, you don't need a ton of them).

Do any of you ever consider keeping just a set of say four (or six or however many for the people you have living in your home) and simply use them daily and enjoy them?

I can definitely see coming to a place where I didn't need service for 12 anymore, or crystal glasses in multiple styles, but wonder why more people who like their finer things, just don't move a few over into the everyday dishes cabinets and just use them for everyday use. 

I think it would feel so pampering to drink out of them every day!

Super Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Lismore pattern.

I had my own that I got when I got married (Champagne flutes, wine goblets and water goblets).

Then, my sister and I inherited some from our grandmother, same pattern.  Wine and water goblets.

Then we inherited some (same pattern) from our mom.  Wine and water goblets.  My sister also had double old fashioned glasses that she got when she got married.

Since neither my sister nor I entertain to that level (I'm a paper plates and acrylic glasses kind of girl when we have people over once a year), we sold it all.

I sold some locally in a consignment shop and sold the majority of it on a Facebook yard sale site.

The only things Waterford/Lismore I have left (and would never get rid of) are a Biscuit Barrel which my mom gave me for Christmas one year and salt and pepper shakers my sister gave me for being in her wedding.

I love that you have those special pieces that hold such dear memories and meaning for you!

I do have a question though, for people who really like something (like you did your crystal), but find they don't use it for it's intended purpose (lots of pieces would have meant you needed to host events and set a certain table to use them, and you just don't do that, so I get it, you don't need a ton of them).

Do any of you ever consider keeping just a set of say four (or six or however many for the people you have living in your home) and simply use them daily and enjoy them?

I can definitely see coming to a place where I didn't need service for 12 anymore, or crystal glasses in multiple styles, but wonder why more people who like their finer things, just don't move a few over into the everyday dishes cabinets and just use them for everyday use. 

This is exactly what Jorge says to do. Eat your pizza on your Waterford! Use it don't put it in the cabinet prison.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChrissyKR

@Mominohio

There is no such thing (at least in my house) as using precious and fragile Waterford crystal for everyday meal use.   It might be useful to point out that I have collected glass items for  years, as that is my favorite medium.   But.............

Can't put full lead crystal in dishwasher,  personally don't like to wash too much tableware by hand everyday, and pretty soon that crystal would be so chipped or scratched that it is better enjoyed as a display piece not to be touched too often.

I had many beautiful wine and goblet Waterford pieces and a decanter.........all on display in a lighted china breakfront cabinet.  Kept it clean and relatively sparkling ......decided that the whole exercise over many years was a fool's errand and got rid of every piece  (including the breakfront cabinet)  before having to pay a mover the extra weight to move it--and possibly having it all damaged in the move.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Lismore pattern.

@Mominohio- No, I never thought about keeping a few of them and using them.  The water goblets are so tall and heavy and delicate and we would have accidentally broken them. And they're hand washable.  We're really an acrylic glass kind of couple.

The biscuit barrel and salt and pepper shakers are enough for me.  I also forgot to mention that I also have the sugar & creamer, also a gift from my sister.  I have never used them, but I'm keeping them for now.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

I had a rather large Waterford serving bowl given to me as a wedding gift over 30 years ago.  I never really used it, and then a few years ago I decided it was a waste to just keep it packed away.  Since I rarely entertain, I decided I would put it on a nightstand and use it to put my phone in at night, Chapstick, etc. so everything could be contained on my nightstand.  Well, one night as I peacefully sleeping away, my naughty cat managed to push that HEAVY bowl over the edge of the nightstand, and it hit a metal drawer handle on the way down.  It shattered with the sound of an explosion!  Talk about being startled out of sleep!  What a mess to clean up!  That same week that same naughty cat knocked over a lovely garden stool in my living room and shattered that, too (he was on a roll that week!).  He did several hundred dollars of damage that week, and I have no interest in replacing that bowl.  It was lovely but sort of useless for me.

Honored Contributor

@Beccaboone2 wrote:

I had a rather large Waterford serving bowl given to me as a wedding gift over 30 years ago.  I never really used it, and then a few years ago I decided it was a waste to just keep it packed away.  Since I rarely entertain, I decided I would put it on a nightstand and use it to put my phone in at night, Chapstick, etc. so everything could be contained on my nightstand.  Well, one night as I peacefully sleeping away, my naughty cat managed to push that HEAVY bowl over the edge of the nightstand, and it hit a metal drawer handle on the way down.  It shattered with the sound of an explosion!  Talk about being startled out of sleep!  What a mess to clean up!  That same week that same naughty cat knocked over a lovely garden stool in my living room and shattered that, too (he was on a roll that week!).  He did several hundred dollars of damage that week, and I have no interest in replacing that bowl.  It was lovely but sort of useless for me.

@Beccaboone2

I have cats, so I can relate! 

That was some mess to clean up!

But at least you got some use and enjoyment out of it, rather than it still sitting in a box. 

Not sure cleaning up the mess was worth it though!

Respected Contributor

@Beccaboone2 wrote:

Yikes!  How did you even get out of bed without getting crystal slivers in your feet?

I can relate, though.  The large armoire that held my crystal and china fell over in the Northridge quake.  We literally shoveled up the remains of my beautiful dinnerware.  In the 20+ years since, I've collected a new set...in fact, I now have more than one set, but I'll never forget that mess.  We replaced the carpet, too, because you would never be able to pick up all of the shards.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ya I have heard that Pitch Guy on Evine say to "eat your pizza on your Waterford"! LOL anything to make a sale!!  That's how I hear it....no thanks.  I don't want to hand wash fragile dishes.  Heck I drop them during that process and I would be so upset that I did.

My husband and 3 sons really don't want to eat on anything like that to be honest so that stuff just doesn't work into our everyday lifestyle.  

I had some more inexpensive wine/water glasses from my wedding that we never used.  Don't drink wine so what was I thinking? LOL  I donated all of it.  I do have my china....it's pretty and can go thur my dishwasher....never knew that...only recently put it thur and it came out just fine.  I try to use it once in a blue moon but for the most part of almost 30yrs...it has only been used maybe 5 times....by only us 5 in the family.  If I ever have a larger get together I may put some of it out then.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone care?

I do! There is nothing like the feel of a real crystal stem in your hand.