Honored Contributor

Re: Waterford Crystal....Does anyone care

I am 65 and when growing up, stuff like that was quite popular but those that had it rarely if ever used it.  I never quite got that.  I also never thought stuff like that was so great and never wanted anything so fancy.  It's just not my taste. 

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I have an appreciation of finely made items. I own the original Waterford from Ireland, & it's spectacular. 

Drinking from a beautiful goblet is an experience. And putting fresh flowers in a meticulously blown/cut vase makes them look even more lovely.

For me, it's all about taking the time to appreciate their beauty & fine craftsmanship. I'll take drinking from a Waterford goblet over a red plastic cup any day of the week. Heart

Well said!

Everyone is different, and we all like or favor different things. 

But often here (and elsewhere) I sense a tone to some people's responses about china, crystal and silver that borders on hostile when they find no value in it. 

I can see not liking it, and I can see having no use for it ('we don't live that kind of lifestyle, or it doesn't fit my decor"), but sometimes post here  (not this particular thread) get downright demeaning when other people treasure those fine things of days gone by. 

I used to buy Waterford (the real old stuff) for my ex husband, and we both loved it (he got custody in the divorce! lol). There is definitely something to be experienced in drinking from fine crystal or seeing a table set with fine beautiful pieces. 

I love to watch the shows on Evine, and always consider getting a piece or two, but I never do. If I did, what would be useful for me would be a pitcher and some glasses, as most of the rest I probably wouldn't use enough to justify storage for. 

I'm not a crystal snob though, as some of the cheaper lines are just as beautiful and one does indeed feel more at ease using them and not mourning their loss should they chip or break. 

I forgot till just now, but I do have a Waterford flower vase, rather big. It is the Marquis line I believe, on clearance at Sam's Club after Christmas one year for like $9. They had a matching bowl, and I thought I put one of those in my cart but when I got home, I had two vases. 

I bought a big bouquet of flowers and put them in the extra vase and gave them to my mom. 

Still pine away for that bowl that I missed at that great price!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I inherited several pieces of crystal from an aunt ... all pitchers.  Lovely to look at but entirely too heavy to use.

So - I've repurpoed them from pitchers to hold and display my vast collection of knitting needles.

I bet those are stunning. And what a creative thing to do with them!

Super Contributor

I have over 75 pieces of Waterford and love each and every piece!  I keep saying no more but I manage to buy a few things each time they have a Waterford show. 

The last show before Thanksgiving I bought two of the turkeys and a cornucopia. Sadly for me they got here too late to use this year. 

I have a mix of the Marquis and the Waterford Crystal and I use them all the time for entertaining and display. There is nothing like the sun coming in and hitting that beautiful crystal.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet I do think it is an older generation thing along with fine China and China cabinets to display it all. The younger generations value other forms of tchotchkes or displays of wealth/collectibles. Each generation has their version of this along with differences region to region. I guess the crystal does still sale well and hopefully brings use and happiness to those who buy/invest in it. This has been debated in various ways here and some take it personally. I personally don't really care for China or crystal; I find it expensive and not a practical thing for my lifestyle.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CarmieOMG, I never thought about lead leaching into the liquor. That might explain some of the health issues long term/heavy drinkers suffer from as some of the Roman Emperors did by using lead serving ware. I too like the look of glass dishes for serving, but I get mine at local Dollar Trees, department store or pottery shops that sell it very cheap or on sale. Hard candies look nice in a glass candy dish. My great aunt always had sour balls in a cheap, dollar store, glass candy dish with a cut pattern in the dish and lid. It just reminds me of her, pretty and practical.  I'm more of a practical sort with most things, not all, just most.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss  I think my guardian angel fixed that decanter stopper on my bourbon decanter so that I didn’t serve it to anyone.  That bourbon was in there for years.

The  longer liquid is stored in lead crystal, the more lead is leached.  It is not even recommended that a lead crystal goblet be used every day if you are a wine drinker.

It is beautiful to look at and dangerous to use.   Use my lead crystal candy dish for wrapped candies only.

I like dollar store items size too.  I have several glass serving pieces that look expensive and they are practical.

Honored Contributor

I used to have Waterford.  The "real" Waterford, made in Ireland.

Lismore pattern.

I had my own that I got when I got married (Champagne flutes, wine goblets and water goblets).

Then, my sister and I inherited some from our grandmother, same pattern.  Wine and water goblets.

Then we inherited some (same pattern) from our mom.  Wine and water goblets.  My sister also had double old fashioned glasses that she got when she got married.

Since neither my sister nor I entertain to that level (I'm a paper plates and acrylic glasses kind of girl when we have people over once a year), we sold it all.

I sold some locally in a consignment shop and sold the majority of it on a Facebook yard sale site.

I love the Lismore pattern, but I'm just not a crystal user.

I sold it over a year or so.  In both places, it sold just about immediately.

The only things Waterford/Lismore I have left (and would never get rid of) are a Biscuit Barrel which my mom gave me for Christmas one year and salt and pepper shakers my sister gave me for being in her wedding.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Most of my friends/family don't care about China or crystal. They want the latest cell phones etc. I don't care for China either. I have crystal, but I don't use it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a few pieces of the real thing but last year I decided that I wanted my dining room table to look a little nicer than with just ordinary glasses.  I opted to get the Waterford Marquis crystaline in a few differernt sizes as they were pretty and still affordable.  It would have taken a fortune that I don't have and a lot of time to collect everything I wanted, if it were in legit crystal.  With the crystaline, it's not a huge loss if one happens to break and I also feel good about setting a pretty breakfast table as well when company stays overnight.  Drinking from a pretty vessel elevates a moment to make guests feel more important and the experience a little more special.