Honored Contributor

Water temperature setting for washing machines

I washed a dark load of wash with some of my husband's alpaca socks.The water setting was on "cool". I figured it has been cold lately so cool would be fine.

I decided to scrub the sink that the water from the washer empties into. And happened to touch the wash water as it emptied from the washer. It was WARM! I would have been very comfortable taking a shower in the same temperature. So I double checked and the temperature was set on cool.

Makes me wonder what the warm and hot settings feel like.

I can't wait until my husband wears his alpaca socks. I hope they stretch.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Water temperature setting for washing machines

@drizzellla 

maybe someone closed (or partially closed) the cold water inlet valve for some reason, and never fully opened it later .

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@drizzellla 

maybe someone closed (or partially closed) the cold water inlet valve for some reason, and never fully opened it later .

The water inlet valve has not been touched since my washer and hoses were installed about 2-3 years ago. I will have to check that out.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of a Cool setting.  Hot, Cold, warm, that's it.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My washing machine has a cool setting.  The water is luke warm. 

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla ,

Other possibility is slim...but the better washer hoses have built in screens.

If there's been any work on road/water supply in your area, there could have been a dump of fine, sand-like particles. The screen on the cold hose could be blocked.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@drizzellla ,

Other possibility is slim...but the better washer hoses have built in screens.

If there's been any work on road/water supply in your area, there could have been a dump of fine, sand-like particles. The screen on the cold hose could be blocked.

Good idea. But after I felt how warm the wash water was, I changed the water choice to cold. And the rinse water was cold.

But I will check the hose screens. I haven't noticed any sediment in the kitchen faucet but you never know. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Some washers have a cold and a cool setting, with cool having a percentage of hot water mixed in. I think some manufacturers carry it too far. Hot, warm and cold is sufficient for my laundry.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Some washers have a cold and a cool setting, with cool having a percentage of hot water mixed in. I think some manufacturers carry it too far. Hot, warm and cold is sufficient for my laundry.

I have 5 different temperature settings on the washer. I am going to try them all now and see the difference. I certainly don't need 5.. 

Honored Contributor

Our washer and dryer are about 2 months old.  I had a favorite black top, 100% cotton.   My first wash was on cool.  The thing shrunk a size!!!

Now I fiddle around until the water stays on on cold.  I had to rebuy the top!!!!!!!  But at least I have it!