Respected Contributor

Re: Water temperature setting for washing machines

My washer is 3 months old and I have a cool setting too.  Also a cold and a tap cold setting whatever that means.  

Honored Contributor

My washer has a tap water, cold, cool, warm and hot water choices.  I use the tap water setting in the summer time, but during the winter, it is freezing, so I usually use the cold settings.

The cool water setting is luke warm.  There  is nothing wrong with my washer or hoses.  I have a newer washer and it is designed to be this way.

I think the OP has a similar type of washer settings that I do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How can a washing machine CHILL the water?   We have warm tap water in Phoenix all summer long......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@DesertdiLOL yes we never know cold water when it's over 100 degrees. OK so I just looked I have tap water, cold, cool, warm & hot I had no idea I have this. I use cold for most unless towels, use hot. I got to pay more attention, wish my dryer had a fold dial. 

Valued Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

My washer is 3 months old and I have a cool setting too.  Also a cold and a tap cold setting whatever that means.  

I have a Whirlpool agitator washer that has 5 settings, hot, warm, cool, cold, tap cold.

I know this.... warm - hot will sometimes mix with cold to meet the manufacturers temp setting  (MTS) for warm

hot -  will be straight hot water no mixing on my machine.

cool - cold will mix with hot at times to meet MTS for cool

cold- cold will sometimes mix with hot to meet MTS for cold

tap cold - will never mix with hot.  Whatever the temp of the tap is what you get.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

I have a Whirlpool agitator washer that has 5 settings, hot, warm, cool, cold, tap cold.

I know this.... warm - hot will sometimes mix with cold to meet the manufacturers temp setting  (MTS) for warm

hot -  will be straight hot water no mixing on my machine.

cool - cold will mix with hot at times to meet MTS for cool

cold- cold will sometimes mix with hot to meet MTS for cold

tap cold - will never mix with hot.  Whatever the temp of the tap is what you get.

MY GE top load with an agitator is a month old and it has the above settings plus one more.  In between the cool and warm is one for colors.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

--------

@FranandZoe maybe COLD pulls in some ice cubes from the refrigerator's ice maker- LOL. When my neighbor bought hers, she asked the difference between COLD and COLD TAP and the saleslady admitted she didn't know.

Respected Contributor

As a last resort I read the manual lol.  Apparently in some areas they feel the tap water is too cold to clean the clothes adequately thus the cold is more of a cool. And cool is more of a lukewarm.

Thanks everyone.

LOL about the ice cubes Auntg!  

Honored Contributor

Out of curiosity I washed a light colored load of wash. I put the temperature selector on cool. I wanted to check the temperature of the cool water. It was definitely cool water.

So when I put in a dark colored load, the cool setting is warm. And I put in a light colored load, the cool setting is cool.

I don't get it. I am getting too old for these guessing games. My washing machine has now become a game of chance.

Respected Contributor

After reading these posts I went and checked my washer. It has 6 temperature settings.  Tap cold, cold, cool, colors, warm and hot. With the exception of Tap cold, I have used all the others. Never even noticed the Tap cold.  It is a GE. Not a brand I would usually purchase but it had a real agitator so I bought it.  Works well.