Respected Contributor

Our water is hard so we have a water softener system that is connected to our entire house, the bathrooms and laundry room, and the kitchen, hot water only.  My kitchen cold water is the only faucet that is not connected to the water softener.  We do not have any other filtration on our water.

I think the soft water has a different taste.  I use the hard water for cooking and for making coffee and tea.  

Not sure if I have helped any, but I have no problems making tea with the hard water. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

@henderson wrote:

We also live in a high desert.  We have a water softener because the water is too hard and can ruin our pipes.  We also have a reverse osmosis system in the kitchen (also hooked up to our refrigerator water dispenser) and our water tastes fine.  We make coffee and tea.

This is what we have, too. We also have a pre-filter downstairs in the utility room. Our drinking water tastes very good. In the winter, we had to use reverse osmosis water to fill up 3 humidifiers. Tap water left a white film on everything. One time of that and then used the good water.