Honored Contributor

Re: Water Filter Pitchers - ZeroWater, Mavea or Aquasana?

On 3/14/2015 jaxs mom said:

Personally I don't think any of the pitcher systems really do much. I recommend the Berkey water purification system, which is a free standing unit not attached to your faucet.

These come highly recommended. We have one, still in the box, never used. Bought it mostly for emergency situations, as the reverse osmosis system works good when the power is up and we can pump water.

Honored Contributor

I've had mine for a few years and love it. I also use the second set of arsenic and fluoride filters.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I bought a ZeroWater when they were sold on QVC because I never liked the taste of Brita water. I didn't like the taste of ZeroWater either. We've switched to using Bobble individual water bottles and I like the taste much better. I bought four large ones and use the lid color to designate which one belongs to which family member. Sometimes, I can find the replacement lids at HomeGoods and then I stock up.

Frequent Contributor

I have the zero water and I love it. Water tastes good, easy to fill. I recommend it.
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 bowwowluv said: I have the zero water and I love it. Water tastes good, easy to fill. I recommend it.

I absolutely agree and of the portable non attached units it is the best and WHEN it is set up correctly and working the taste of the water even rivals my 5 stage reverse osmosis unit. It literally can gets the ppm down to zero.

Trusted Contributor

I have been looking at the old posts about this question as I am looking for the answers, too. I asked for a new filter pitcher for Christmas as my old Brita is broken. My mom gave me a Zero Water Pitcher. I had heard some negatives about the Zero, so I started doing some research. Posters have already mentioned the main negatives, which are cost and fishy smell.

The nice thing about the Zero Water is that it comes with a tester that measures the amount of Total Dissolved Solids in your water. My tap water  measured in at 383 which is high. Most of the water in the US is between 051-300 according to the information included with the Zero Water. My Mavea pitcher tested at 370 which I did not like to see. Since I knew I was overdue to change the filter, I attributed the high reading to that and changed the filter. Now, with the new filter, I get 338 for the Mavea. So, we have a lot of something that the standard filters do not filter out. I have no way to know what that might be or whether or not it is harmful. I like the taste of the Mavea water best. My Brita filter tested at 386, so it was somehow adding solids to the water as that is a higher reading than my plain tap water. I think it is because of the old filter. It was really past due changing, but since I knew I was getting rid of it, I did not change it. That one has been thrown out. The water my husband buys for his coffee tested at 011. That is really good. It is from our grocery store and you fill your bottles there. It is tap water that they treat with reverse osmosis and  lights to purify. That's pretty good for 39 cents per gallon.

My Zero Water did test at 000. I'll see how long the filter lasts.

I am particularly interested in filtering out salt that may be there as residue from our water softening system and molybdenum, which is high here. We actually have well water. 

I am looking forward to seeing what some of you have discovered. Thanks