Honored Contributor

Water Filter Pitchers - ZeroWater, Mavea or Aquasana?

Would love feedback from users of any of the above. I don't want a "connect to faucet" type water filter. Brita isn't cutting it and I am annoyed with the carbon bits. ZeroWater does the best job according to articles and feedback, but from what I've read you have to buy expensive new filters constantly (I have really ucky, rust-filled city pipes) or the filter makes your water taste fishy (srsly, many reviews state this). I've read complaints about the Aquasana not functioning well (broken pump, leaking) and of course needing electricity to work. Mavea sounds good to me, filters reasonably priced & reasonably available. But is is better than Brita, even if only a little?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Re: Water Filter Pitchers - ZeroWater, Mavea or Aquasana?

I live in a well water area in the mountains. I use Pur filters right now. My g/f tried Aquasana and returned it. It was noisy and did not do the job well.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I have used PUR as well, but found them to be pretty much the same as Brita. What I really need is bottled water or a $300 system, but living in an upstairs apt makes neither practical :-(

Honored Contributor

I would offer up a different solution. We have a Culligan reverse osmosis system, and it has been here longer than the 20 years we have owned the house. We have well water with iron and this works great and gives us really great tasting water,

It contains 4 or 5 filters, but they only need changed yearly for us, even with heavy use of a family of 4.

Perhaps you could make a deal with the apt. owner, that if you paid for the unit, it would stay when you leave (if you plan on staying for a number of years, it might be the same cost overtime as trying all these different systems that haven't worked for you).

You may also be able to rent one, similar to the way the rent water softeners. It would be another option to research and price and see if it might meet your needs.

Trusted Contributor

I've been using a Brita for years, so I understand your frustration with the carbon bits. Last week I found a new style of Brita filter at Walmart that has a different "neck" on the top of it. It's a new version, and you don't get any black flecks. I also noticed an improvement in the taste of the water. I've been using it for a week, and I'm very satisfied. Before you invest in a whole new pitcher or a hard wired system, you may want to pay $6, and give this new cartridge a chance.

Honored Contributor

Mominohio, I just don't want to spend that kind of money. This is a very old building, with the possibility of sale or demolition hanging in the air. I do not expect to be here more than another 2 years tops. And I don't use enough water to justify a whole system. Water for coffee, the cats, cooking, and taking my pills. I'm a party of one.
Honored Contributor

I have more than one pitcher Peter, so I might do as you suggest for one of them.

Respected Contributor

I have one of the Aquasana's they had on here years ago that just a small part hooks to the sink, the base sets next to it. We fill up glass containers and put in the fridge. Works great.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I have a ZeroWater filter that I use in our water dispenser, I like the way the water tastes, how often you change it depends on how much you drink. I used to order the filters from Amz, now I get them from BBBeyond works out to about the same.

If our dispenser were to breakdown I may try Brita, may be cheaper as they are always on special at Costco

Honored Contributor

Personally I don't think any of the pitcher systems really do much. I recommend the Berkey water purification system, which is a free standing unit not attached to your faucet.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval