Honored Contributor

Re: Washing machines without agitators

@novamc1, I was interested in Speed Queen and did some research.  Amazon sells them; check them out.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

When our house was built 6 years ago they gave us free appliances as a promotion.What we got , for free, were builder grade GE appliances. I was so dissappointed but, in fact, and so far, mine are wonderful. Not much in bells and whistles which makes them simple to use, and less likely to break down.(knocking on wood) My washer is a top load with agitater but it is a model that runs very quietly as it is right in the hallway next to the bathroom and 2 of the bedrooms. It soaks each load for 30 min before it washes and , honestly, I have never had cleaner clothes. Stains don't exist anymore. That soak is the secret to clean and bright clothes. Of course, it does take a long time to get through a load of laundry with that 30 min presoak, but it is so worthwhile.

Respected Contributor

VENT:  my new Maytag top loader with agitator was delivered today to the FL condo.  I am not a happy camper: I cannot stand the loud and weird noises it makes as it " washes " ....sounds likes a 40-minute last gasping for breath.   So wonderful it uses less water --- I set it for the most amount of water " sheets " setting just to make certain the clothes come out clean !!!!

Believe me, if I could buy someone's old Maytag, I would be there in a NY minute.  DH might not be happy, but I would be !!!

I wish those responsible for designing this new technology would be forced to sit in a small room with 100 loads of laundry to be done and no radio, TV, or other sound-deadening device...maybe then a real washing machine would be the outcome!

Thank you for letting me get this out of my system and saving my sanity.  Now to check on the dumb clothes in the wash.  I can hardly wait until I have to get a new dryer.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I have an LG no agitator washer and it drives me crazy!  I feel like I am constantly "babysitting" it and having to rearrange the clothes when it goes off kilter.  I would not repurchase it.

Super Contributor

We bought a washer from Sears without an agitator.  Worse thing we ever bought.  I picked out a Kenmore (naturally).  Didn't have it long and it has ripped up all  my towels to shreds!  It doesn't bother our other clothing, sheets etc.  We are going to install a new washing machine on our main floor for me and only use the bad one for blankets and sheets.

My advice?  Stay awsy from the no agitator.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz

I feel your pain -- 2 yrs ago we bought a Whirlpool (agitator) but has water sensor system. Omg it's so loud when it's washing -- the water swishes so loud, in fact sometimes I'd love to know how much water it really uses!! Can't open lid because it locks and when the spin cycle comes on it takes forever and even louder.

This is one time I'm glad my washer & dryer were moved by the previous owner to the garage to convert the laundryroom into a utility/office space! Sadly I can hear that washing machine thru the walls BUT not as loud as it would be if inside -- I'd be insane!

Honored Contributor

Ive read professional assessments of these washers that concluded their cleaning is sub-par.   Perhaps it's worth a trip to the library to look up reviews on Consumer Reports. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I bought a Speed Queen last year!!!!! We got ours through" U.S. Appliances " online. I had a Bosch front loader and it was by and far the worst machine I have ever owned. I would never ever recommend a front loader. The Speed Queen is the work horse that is used in laundromants, apts, etc. It is the old Mom and Pop style with not a whole lot of bells and whistles. It has a large stainless tub with agitator. You can fill it up as far or as little as you want with water. You can soak, do delicates and heavy wash. I can't say enough about this brand. It has very few repair problems. I have washed rugs, blankets, coats in mine just fine. The best part MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!.It is a little bit more expensive but worth every single penny.

Beckyblu

Trusted Contributor

Here's a hug @jlkz. I totally understand.

Until they totally die, I'm gladly hanging on to my 30-year old Kenmore washer and dryer.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 - I purchased my Speed Queen at a local appliance store in a Dallas suburb. Contact Speed Queen and see if their wonderful customer service can help you. It's worth the hunt!