Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washing/freshening a Down Comforter...

Hi @SahmIam 

I launder my goose down comforter every autumn and sometimes in spring too. Regular detergent, may use weak addition of bleach, warm or cool water, and definitely on the gentle cycle.

I always hang outside to dry in the sun.

I take it down and turn it once or twice so feathers don't clump. I start early, as it takes hours to dry.

My first down comforter was junky and leaked feathers. Didn't wash it. Just aired it on the washline on breezy days.

If you enter 'washing down comforter' in the forum search, there are other threads with other experiences. Good luck!  ☺

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dry cleaning chemicals are not good for the down. Professionally laundered is what to have done, not dry cleaning. I own several Eddie Bauer down products. EB uses the best down and they do not recommend dry cleaning their products.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Dry cleaning chemicals are not good for the down. Professionally laundered is what to have done, not dry cleaning. I own several Eddie Bauer down products. EB uses the best down and they do not recommend dry cleaning their products.

I agree. I took some down comforters to the dry cleaners a couple of years ago. While they got clean, some of the dry cleaning fluid settled in a few of the seams (looking just like urine), so I had to spot clean them after all. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  That's VERY interesting about EB. I spent some time researching on line and it's all about how washing will ruin a down comforter, must go to cleaners, etc. I did find a few sites that had instructions for washing but event they stated that dry-cleaning is the preferred method.

Hence the reason I asked here. : )

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

Professional dry cleaning uses chemicals, whereas, professional laundering means they use water and detergent to clean. If you take it to the cleaners just be sure and let them know you don't want dry cleaning done with your down comforter.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I washed one in my washing machine. Then took it to the laundromat to dry it. The best way to wash it is to squish it into the smallest possible size to remove most of the air by squeezing it into a pillowcase. Then before you put it inside your washer take the stuffed pillowcase with the comforter inside it and soak it in the tub until it is thoroughly wet.  Squeeze out the excess water as much as you can by stepping on it while it's sitting in the tub  or press down on it with your hands to remove some of the water.  It will be heavy so be careful when you lift it out of the tub. Then remove it from the pillowcase and place in your washer. This will keep it from ballooning up in the washer.

If you have a top-load washer, pre-fill it about half full. Stuff your comforter in the pillowcase and then partially submerge it into the pre-filled washer and remove the comforter slowly under water from the pillowcase. This method also prevents ballooning.

You can freshen up a down comforter with a handheld steamer or by hanging out in the direct sun.

@SilleeMee 

And then do you have to go lay down and rest for awhile?

It would take me 2, maybe 3 days to recuperate after that.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

LOL!! Woman LOL 

Well actually it's not that bad. I've even did the 'grape-stomping' method in my bathtub for my sleeping bag to wash it that way. LOL! Came out very clean.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash mine as well as down pillows.  Even down jackets/coats and down vests.   I put three tennis balls in the dryer - it helps to fluff them up.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I'm going to try your way of washing it since it's a twin, stomping on it in the tub in the pillowcase shouldn't be too bad, lol.

As for the cleaners, be it using the dry cleaning method (using chemicals) or laundry (washing), no guarantee regarding urine. Knowing this, I might as well attempt to wash it. Wish me luck!!

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

If you are going to do the stomping method...

-First stuff your comforter into a pillow case to express the air out of it.

-Fill your tub, about half full, with warm water and a little detergent, one that doesn't make suds like what you would use for HE washers.

-Place the stuffed pillowcase into the tub of water and try to keep it submerged as much as possible, step on it to make it absorb water.

-Then after it has absorbed the water, pull it out of the pillowcase under water and spread it out on the tub floor...spread it out evenly.

-Stomp away and be careful not to slip and fall!

-Let drain and stomp excess water then repeat twice for rinsing.

-After you are done rinsing, try to squeeze out as much of the rinse water in the tub as possible. At this point you may want to put it inside your washing machine and turn on the spin cycle to extract more water.

-If your dryer can handle it then dry it on medium heat and keep checking for clumping. You may have to break up some clumps by hand of they get that way and also use tennis balls while drying. Good luck!Woman Happy