Honored Contributor

Re: Washing/freshening a Down Comforter...

I have never owned a goose down comforter because the care tags all say "dry clean only".  The are so $$ that I wouldn't risk putting one in the washer.  I think bad things might happen.  I do think putting one in dryer on low heat or better yet on the fluff setting would be the best way to go.  There is a Fabreze that is just for clothing now,  I'd spray it with that.  Those wool balls would work too.

Honored Contributor

I took my first one (from QVC) to the laundromat and used the larger machine.  Then brought it home to dry in my dryer.  Worked out fine.  The second time I did it something was wrong with the washer and the comforter was never the same.  After a while I bought a new one from QVC.  It is definitely not the quality of the first one.  I haven't washed it yet.  Will take it to the laundromat since I feel it is too bulky for my washer.  ( I'm referring to Queen size.)

Esteemed Contributor

What a timely thread!  I bought a down Northern Nights comforter (full/queen size) from QVC years ago.  I washed it at the laundromat in their extra large washing machines on the gentlest cycle then took it home and hung it to dry across the back deck railing.  Once dry I would put it in the dryer with no heat setting and tennis balls for a few minutes.  I got a new comforter for my bed and put it away in a closet and forgot about it.  Last night I got a call from my son.  😂😂😂 He took it to school with him, and he decided to wash it but discovered his washing machine now no longer spins--just fills with water then empties it.  It must have broken a belt or something his washed machine.  So, if you decide to wash a comforter, please make sure your machine can handle this heavy load.  I've been telling my son to be careful not to overload a washing machine.  Guess he's now learned the lesson.  😂

Respected Contributor

I have an older down feather bed (comforter) that I don’t think can withstand laundry. I would love to know if anyone has used service which specializes in down.
Newer varieties I take to laundromat snd use large washer. Easy and relatively quick.