Honored Contributor

Washing/freshening a Down Comforter...

1) Have you washed a goose down comforter before with success? If so, how did you wash and dry it?

2) If you want to freshen a goose down comforter (not clean it) can you place it in the dryer with scented wool balls and run it on low/no air without issue?

Thanks for any info!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Washing/freshening a Down Comforter...

Years ago I had a king size down comforter.  I got it in washing machine (barely) and dryer (barely).  It would not totally dry in machine, so I stretched it out to finish air drying.

It was so very heavy when wet.  If I had one today I would bring to laundrimat with oversize machines.

It might work to put in dryer dry to freshen up.  It would certainly be lighter.

Esteemed Contributor

My full sized one ballooned up in the washing machine something awful and it was sopping wet when it was done, plus my machine had done a little traveling and rocking & rolling during the spin cycle. Now that one and my queen one go to the laundromat into the big machines. It's costly to wash and dry them there but well worth it.

Honored Contributor

I wash my full size down blanket frequent.  Dry it in the dryer with two nubby rubber balls.  It comes out soft and very fluffy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I wash my down comforter in my front load washer that has a huge tub.  Then dry it in the dryer with a few dryer balls.  It takes awhile to dry, but I want to make sure it's really dry.

I've had no problems.  

Esteemed Contributor

I washed one of my down comforters, and ruined it. It did say dry clean only, so it was my fault. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I washed one in my washing machine. Then took it to the laundromat to dry it. The best way to wash it is to squish it into the smallest possible size to remove most of the air by squeezing it into a pillowcase. Then before you put it inside your washer take the stuffed pillowcase with the comforter inside it and soak it in the tub until it is thoroughly wet.  Squeeze out the excess water as much as you can by stepping on it while it's sitting in the tub  or press down on it with your hands to remove some of the water.  It will be heavy so be careful when you lift it out of the tub. Then remove it from the pillowcase and place in your washer. This will keep it from ballooning up in the washer.

If you have a top-load washer, pre-fill it about half full. Stuff your comforter in the pillowcase and then partially submerge it into the pre-filled washer and remove the comforter slowly under water from the pillowcase. This method also prevents ballooning.

You can freshen up a down comforter with a handheld steamer or by hanging out in the direct sun.

Valued Contributor

I wash mine in my large capacity top loader Spring and Fall.  Takes awhile to let it soak and keep punching it down for it not to balloon in the washer.  It throws the washer off balance so I usually have to readjust it for it to spin properly.

I hang it out on the clothesline on a sunny windy day and let it mostly air dry then throw in the dryer with dryer balls to fluff.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. This is a twin size all goose down comforter that says dry clean only. My son had an accident during the night and soaked every thing. The comforter had one corner that was damp but I can't smell urine on it. I contacted a few dry cleaners after researching it on the web and the ones I spoke with all stated they could not guarantee dry cleaning would actually clean if of urine or the scent.

He uses this to keep his legs warm as his circulation is very poor due to his meds. It's very very light yet VERY warm due to the quality of the goose down. I would HATE to ruin this since he uses it not only on his bed but when we travel and when in the hospital (heavy blankets/many blankets on his body creates anxiety for him; again, due to his meds). *heavy sigh*

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam Could you just "spot clean" the section that was wet with a little Dawn and some cold water and just let it air dry and then use fabric Febreze on it?  I swear by Dawn and Febreze for cleaning, along with white vinegar and baking soda as my "go tos"

for cleaning solutions. 

If that didn't do the trick I think I would then take it to the dry clean place.

I know how expensive the down items are to purchase and then to have cleaned but they are so warm and cozy, as you say, without the weight.