Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Replacement HE or Top Load Advice Pls

@Mominohio wrote:

The only advice I have on this topic is that what type of washer people get depends heavily on their needs and uses. 

I personally don't want any HE type machine. I want full fill, hot water options, and a top loader only. My choices are based on the fact we have no water shortages (have our own artesian well) to cause issues or cost. And I have guys in my house that have very dirty clothing (farming, mechanic, machinist). I need to fill the tub and soak things fully oftentimes. I want to be able to get into the machine during cycles. Not everyone has those same desires. 

I'd just suggest really analyzing your needs and how you use a machine, if you really want or need all the bazillions of options they have now, or if simpler is better for you, before making a final decision.

Good luck on the search and let us know what you choose.

@Mominohio - we just bought a new washer and dryer. Maytag Bravos. Top loader, no agitator. Full fill option and hot water option. It’s going to be delivered on Friday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Just in case it is helpful to others shopping for a washing machine, here is a checklist of items/questions to ask when considering which machine to buy.  LM

Features to look for...

Return policy

Warranty/Extended warranty

Capacity 4-4.5 cubic feet suitable for king size bedding.

Cycles Gentle

Drum Material shd be SS, porcelain will chip and rust

Energy efficient

Self cleaning

App operation

NOISE LEVEL

Moving across floor when in use/stability

Trusted Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

I've had an LG front loader for about 11 years, and love it.  The only caveat is that I dry out the soap tray and front gasket after every use, and leave the door open when not in use.  Front loaders can develop mold.  Still, I love my machine.  

As an aside, I purchased an LG dryer at the same time, along with a bracket that allowed me to stack my two full size units.  This opened up space in my small laundry room without sacrificing space in the appliances!  Win/Win for me.

I have a LG front loader probably as old as yours and I love mine also! And I also dry out the tray and gasket too.  Leave the door open on the washer as I don't want the moldy scent front loaders can get.  My set sets on the riser drawers as I didn't want to bend down so far to remove the laundry, also gives me some drawers to store things.  When it's time to replace, will go with an LG front loaders again.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

The only advice I have on this topic is that what type of washer people get depends heavily on their needs and uses. 

I personally don't want any HE type machine. I want full fill, hot water options, and a top loader only. My choices are based on the fact we have no water shortages (have our own artesian well) to cause issues or cost. And I have guys in my house that have very dirty clothing (farming, mechanic, machinist). I need to fill the tub and soak things fully oftentimes. I want to be able to get into the machine during cycles. Not everyone has those same desires. 

I'd just suggest really analyzing your needs and how you use a machine, if you really want or need all the bazillions of options they have now, or if simpler is better for you, before making a final decision.

Good luck on the search and let us know what you choose.

@Mominohio - we just bought a new washer and dryer. Maytag Bravos. Top loader, no agitator. Full fill option and hot water option. It’s going to be delivered on Friday. 

Glad to hear about the full fill option, because I started calling around, and they are trying to tell me full fill isn't available. They are calling it something else, but in essence, the tub will not fill up all the way. I'll go used if I have to, to get what I want!

Respected Contributor

@ mominohio
When my GE is using full fill option it is not up to top like with previous washers. It is, however, filling with more water than normal.
Regulations forcing me to use more water! 😟
Trusted Contributor

I like a top loader, but made the way they were 40 years ago.  I want an agitator; want to select my own water level nearly to the top of tub if I so choose; want to open lid any time I choose without that darn locking lid feature; want a large tub size; want dials instead of computer push buttons that break; do not want any musical tones or electronic voices; want quiet operation; want cycle to complete within 45 minutes or so, not 2 hours; want extra rinse option which doesn't mean only 6 inches of water........do you have a machine for me?  I'll come to your house and pick it up! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today's front-loaders have settings for "extra water", "extra rinse", noise level of tones indicating the load is finished --and much more,  such as electronic sensors that can shorten a light load's wash time, etc. etc.

I have loved my front loaders (earlier one was a Whirlpool which I'd still have if I hadn't sold the house) and the LG on pedestals in my new home for almost three years so far.

On the other hand, today's top-loaders get lots of very negative reviews for the way they treat laundry (as in leaving the fabrics so twisted up that they are hard to unravel ) and for not filling up with enough water to get the clothes clean.

To each his own, and I suppose everyone's laundry needs can differ.

Respected Contributor

I fondly remedy my Kenmore with agitator that moves clothes under, down then up without being hard on clothes. They would demonstrate how each article was moved.
Hate locking lid on top for washers today for if it’s off balance you can’t rearrange. If you shut off you don’t know if it’s starting all over!
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
I fondly remedy my Kenmore with agitator that moves clothes under, down then up without being hard on clothes. They would demonstrate how each article was moved.
Hate locking lid on top for washers today for if it’s off balance you can’t rearrange. If you shut off you don’t know if it’s starting all over!

@Twins Mom 

my new speed queen top loader has a locking lid, but you can just press the pause button to open it up.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Twins Mom wrote:

@Twins Mom 

my new speed queen top loader has a locking lid, but you can just press the pause button to open it up.

I do only 3 loads/week, so washing machines are not a big deal, but there was a time when I did 15 loads/week for my family.  If I were a young wife again I would definitely look into investing in a Speed Queen.