Trusted Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Replacement HE or Top Load Advice Pls

i would        compare the price to have your old on e repaired verses the replacement.  older washer are in eemand because they last and last. also kiss(keep itsimple sweetie.)  the less to break down.  i have a whirlpool top loader that is over 10 years old and it is great..  i have had the lid timer replaced.  that is somethin g to remember.  do not drop the lip down.  it will knock out the lid timer.  also they can get out of wack.  if they don't fit just right.

Trusted Contributor

What I like about a front loader--aside from the flat profile--is that it is less hard on my clothes and uses less water. I've been very happy with mine. When I bought it, I popped for the subscription to Consumer Reports and carefully read all their reviews and analysis, and then shopped models and prices. I think it was worth it. These machines all have similar features, but none of them are cheap! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom, you'll be surprised at how much lighter weight the new washing machines are compared to your current one. I bought a top load GE at Lowes last year and I'm very happy with it, but it is pretty simple which is what I wanted - around $350 plus delivery. The delivery guys who set it up about had a hernia taking my 15 year old Sears model out! Hubby and I are retired so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I usually stick with brands that have worked for me in the past.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD , I am doing the research now on what to buy.  There is no doubt in my mind that it won’t be long til I need a replacement.

The general consensus in my research so far is that front loaders are not as hard on clothing.

LM

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 , one of the common complaints about the new machines is that they move all over the place during the process.  I wonder if the light weight has anything to do with it?  LM

Honored Contributor

Would someone explain what HE stands for please?

We had a very specific spot to fill when we bought our stackers, and the largest Kenmore combo filled the bill. I have NEVER loved a washer-dryer combo more. 

No agitator, low water. Front loader, magnetized prop keeps the door open except when it’s running, no sour smell, super clean laundry, EVERY TIME! Huge loads? No problem!

I try to keep my live-in HE away from it, but it’s SO EASY to use, even HE wants to do towels and bedding.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't get a front loading washing machine. I've had mine for about 6 years -it works fine but its a bear to empty.

Some people make or spend money on stands for them but I wasn't about to give the vendor anymore money than I was giving them.   I do have HEV - which I like.

Respected Contributor

@violann HE is High Efficiency.  These machines use less water, and require a low-suds detergent.  

Honored Contributor

i have HR top load purchased in 2011.  Kenmore.  No problems with it and I like it very much.

Honored Contributor

I liked my Whirlpool Cabrio better than my Electrolux front loaders.  I had front loaders before and hated them, but when we moved the salesman touted these Electrolux machines as the be all and end all of laundry cleaning.

All were HE, but I preferred the Cabrio (top loader).