Respected Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Replacement HE or Top Load Advice Pls

[ Edited ]

I used to own a Maytag HE front-load....HORRIBLE washer in every way possible!

With front-load, you get very little water fill, mold, smells, & clothes that are only partially clean. I could wash my barely-dirty clothes TWICE, & they still never smelled fresh. Animal blankets? You might as well just throw them out & buy new ones, because they never get completely clean. 

The water-saving HE's are nonsense since you have to do everything twice if you want your clothes semi-clean. My Maytag used a small amount of water, then lightly tossed the laundry. Then during the spin cycle, it sounded like the machine was busting through the wall. Also, I didn't like having to bend over, & spin the drum to see if I got all the clothes out of the washer. I absolutely hated everything about a front-load machine. 

I purchased Speed Queen washer & dryer before the gov. forced them to make changes. I have a top-load with an agitator, & LOVE it. I'd almost forgotton what fresh laundry smells like. I swear I'd rather have really old, ugly appliances that consistently work well than the new garbage that they now sell.

Valued Contributor

Don't know if this is allowed but here is the link to that website/thread.

https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?79093_31

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
Good morning everyone. I did a search for this topic and the newest post I saw was 2017🤔.

Anyway, what advice do you have? My Kenmore Elite HE is almost 14 years old and due for a repair. I am thinking of replacing and would appreciate your advice.

TIA. LM

REPAIR! Smiley Happy

The new appliances are garbage, & are made to break. It doesn't seem to matter how much you pay, or how much research you do.....GARBAGE!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom 

I also have a HE 

LG front loading washer and dryer..    also leave door open on my washer!

Love it!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

I have an LG front load washer - I'm happy with it and agree that you have to leave the door open.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My almost 30 year old washer died in November around Thanksgiving time.  I was in a panic and went to Home Depot within an hour to get a new one. I do wash for my DH and I and two elderly ladies as well as a single mother and her teen daughter.  I need a washer!

I was overwhelmed.  I loved my old washer and I knew the new ones were 't going to be the same.  I had my mind made up that no matter what washer I got, I was going to hate it.

To Make a long story short, the salesman and another Home Depot worker told me they recently replaced their own washer and that their wives were happy with their choice.  Both employees were seniors, so I knew they had owned many washers in their lifetime.

They suggested a GE. I wanted one with an agitator and they had that model.  It took a few loads for me to get comfortable with it, but I can honestly say that I am happy with it.

It has several soak cycles, you can adjust the water and fill it.  Of course, you can't fill it to the top, but a full load fits in there and the water covers all of clothing, if you wish.

The lid only locks during the spin cycle and you can pause the washer and control the water temperature, the rinse is always cold water.  You can even control the rinse cycle...to add more water if you are using fabric softener and you can do an auto double rinse and spin dry.

I paid around $500 for it on sale..including tax.  I would highly recommend this washer.

GE 4.5 cu. ft. HE Top loading washer w/ stainless steel basket. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Lilysmom I recently purchased a new washer and dryer.  We decided on a top loader wih an agitator and front load dryer from Maytag.  We compared the model we got and Speed Queen.  Couple reasons we didn't go with Speed Queen right now was budget and our kids are still at home.  I know this goes counter to the trends, but the Maytag Front Loader we got rid of was awful!  It ended up costing us more in repairs over the years than a new one.  Sadly, we were told over and over that most appliances were only given about a 5 year life span now.  We figured we would use the new Maytag until it dies then purchase Speed Queen in hopes the kids would be moved out on their own and it would last us many years.

Respected Contributor

I've had a GE front loader for several years and mostly like it. It has temp options from cold to hot (I never go above warm), spin speeds from low to high (I use high for everything), and a "handwash" cycle.

My clothes are always clean, even the stuff DH wears when working on his tractor or with a chain saw. Oil & gas stains and odors come out really well. I've never paid any attention to the water level--I just set it & walk away.  

What I don't like--it gets off balance a lot, and will turn itself 6-8 inches--would probably do more if it had the space! Yes, the gasket will smell if you don't clean it every so often, and I just leave the door open between loads.

I've looked at the top loaders, but my issue with them is they seem to be deeper nowadays, and with my short arms I have to nearly stand on my head to reach the bottom!

Esteemed Contributor

Wow everyone, thank you so much for the feedback.

Here is an update.  I know my appliance repairman.  He has looked after us for years and lives in our community.

While we were talking, he mentioned forcing the door.  Remember it was a door lock malfunction.  Well, last load of laundry I did, I forgot an item, paused the machine shortly after the cycle began and added it.  Wow, I think that is what caused the issue.

He took it apart, called to price a new door lock mechanism.  The part plus labour would be $200+.  I asked him to put it back together.  I selected a short cycle and away it went.  Then, I loaded a small comforter to try a load and it worked like a charm.

I asked him to recommend brands and this is what he said.  No to LG and Samsung.  Yes to Frigidaire, GE and Whirlpool.  He also told me where to go to buy new.

I don’t think I am going to spent $200 plus on a 14 year old machine.  He said once they start to go, I will soon have other problems.

I am going to keep using this until it quits and then replace.

I really appreciate your sharing your experiences with me.  My research told me that top loader is less expensive to purchase than Front loaders but front loaders are cheaper to operate so it settles out in the long run price wise.  I also learned thT if you have king size bedding it is best to have at least 3.5 and probably better at 4+ cubic feet in size to manage the job.

I have going to save this thread for reference.  If anyone has other comments, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again for such valuable feedback.  I will tell you what I purchase when the time comes.  LM

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I used to own a Maytag HE front-load....HORRIBLE washer in every way possible!

With front-load, you get very little water fill, mold, smells, & clothes that are only partially clean. I could wash my barely-dirty clothes TWICE, & they still never smelled fresh. Animal blankets? You might as well just throw them out & buy new ones, because they never get completely clean. 

The water-saving HE's are nonsense since you have to do everything twice if you want your clothes semi-clean. My Maytag used a small amount of water, then lightly tossed the laundry. Then during the spin cycle, it sounded like the machine was busting through the wall. Also, I didn't like having to bend over, & spin the drum to see if I got all the clothes out of the washer. I absolutely hated everything about a front-load machine. 

I purchased Speed Queen washer & dryer before the gov. forced them to make changes. I have a top-load with an agitator, & LOVE it. I'd almost forgotten what fresh laundry smells like. I swear I'd rather have really old, ugly appliances that consistently work well than the new garbage that they now sell.

I think I use far more water now with my HE machine than I did with my 35 year old Maytag. There are so many times I pull the clothes out of the washer after all the cycles and there are white streaks from the detergent.

It happens so often that I now use less detergent than recommended and put the loads through 2 rinse cycles. And I still have white streaks. I end up going through another rinse cycle.  It makes me wish I spent the money and had my 35 year old Maytag repaired instead of buying a new HE washer.