Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Replacement HE or Top Load Advice Pls

@nanny24 wrote:

I have a Maytag Centennial. If you see one in Lowe's or Home Depot, RUN, don't walk, away from it. It is possibly the worst washer I've ever owned. It is top loading with an agitator, but if you wash towels, or sheets, or jeans, it gets off balance, and makes a horrible banging noise, and the washer will actually move about the area about 6-8 inches. 

My Whirlpool does the same thing. I swear the washing machine is trying to "walk" out of the laundry room. 

Esteemed Contributor

I imagine I will be looking for a washer and dryer before too long. I have a load in as we speak. What I inherited with this place is a Kenmore pair- may be original to the house, circa turn of the century. As basic as you can get. Still going 19-20 years later, as is my GE manual DW. They absolutely don't make appliances like they used to!

Loved the Maytag front loader that I left behind at my previous house. Purchased 12/06. was still going strong. Cleaned the clothes great and never a musty smell

I will certainly consider a Maytag pair, and for sure something with the least bells and whistles as well as large capacity, even though it's just me now.

Honored Contributor

just purchased a speed queen commercial top loading washing machine in october of 2018. LOVE IT!

i can use however much water i want to use OR have it "sense" the load.

lots of washing options and very quiet when washing. i also bought a matching speed queen dryer.  it has a 7 year warranty.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I normally like bells and whistles, technology, built into my appliances, but when it comes to washing machines, my best advice is KISS--Keep It Simple, Sweetie.  It was hard to find, but I searched until I found a top loader with an agitator and adjustable water level.  My sister has a higher-end, super efficient model, one that barely uses water and nearly spins clothes dry at the end.  She hates it, saying it travels across the floor and that wrinkles are almost permanently set in by the high speed spinning.  

Edited to correct a typo.  They bug me.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

Personally, I love my front loader, Maytag. I wouldn’t go back to a top loader. Of course, I’m short and have to get on a stool when using a top loader, especially the ones with no agitator. I was told by a couple of people to  NOT leave the door open (they can get out of alignment) but to just wipe down the door and gasket after you’re finished. I would definitely recommend spending the money for the drawer bases to set them on. No reaching down and extra storage. Helps the back even when you’re short. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a top loader Whirlpool HE without an agitator for around 10 years.  At first I thought it was the greatest thing ever.  Easier to put in comforters -- blah -- blah -- blah.  Then I realized that it wasn't cleaning our clothes anywhere near as well as my old machine with an agitator.  It just makes sense that that would be the case.  I bought a Speed Queen HE top loader with an agitator.  Luckily it was before Speed Queen changed their machines and water fills to the top of the machine for large loads.  I would never buy a machine without an agitator again.  

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

I've had an LG front loader for about 11 years, and love it.  The only caveat is that I dry out the soap tray and front gasket after every use, and leave the door open when not in use.  Front loaders can develop mold.  Still, I love my machine.  

As an aside, I purchased an LG dryer at the same time, along with a bracket that allowed me to stack my two full size units.  This opened up space in my small laundry room without sacrificing space in the appliances!  Win/Win for me.

I have an LG front loader too & love mine as well!  Mine has a magnet in the door so I can close it but not all the way so air can circulate inside when not in use.  It keeps any mold from developing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla  Everything she said was true for me.  I cannot tell you how much I dispised that washer!  Especially is you tried to wash something bigger than sox in the evil thing!  

We now have front loaders and they work great and are faster than the old machines.  They are LG, 2 years old.  We do have a laundry room so we keep the washer door open, an Oklahoma is not as humid usually as some places.

ETA: I would not go back to digging around in a top load agitator washer either.

@drizzellla wrote:

I have a Whirlpool top loader. There isn't much I like about it. It uses VERY LITTLE water. I have had clothing come out after going through all the cycles completely dry.  And if you wash sheets or towels often the washer goes out of balance. BUT you can't open the door because it is locked. And then it spins the clothing so much that everything is wrinkled and twisted with all the other clothes.

Whirlpool make many of the other washer brands. I wish you good luck. And hope you like your washer whatever one you pick. I seem to end up going to the laundromat often just to do wash now. They have Speed Queen front loaders. But I am not about to spend that kind of money to buy a commercial washer. I already checked it out.

But since washers don't last long, I figure since I had this washer about 2 years, I will be in the market for a new one in a few years.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a Samsung HE washer/dryer pair a few years ago. I was late to become a fan of the front load style but now I love it. I have king size bedding and a ton of throws that I'm washing often. (I have dogs). I would first suggest that you think about what size bedding you have and the size of your other laundry loads. I noticed that even on some bed pillows they suggest a front load machine. If you don't require the extra space then I would go with a top load machine. I always hear good things about Speed Queen. The top load style seems to be more budget friendly

Before i start shopping for any appliance I set my budget first. Then I decide on what features I have to have/features I would like to have/features I do not need/want. This keeps it frombecomming a migraine. ha ha! Remember to check if there is a charge for delivery and installation. Those costs can really vary. Also ask if they take away the old appliance and if there is a charge. Check around the internet because there are businesses that will come and pick up certain old appliances for free/some charge according to the type of appliance.

Good luck. 

Valued Contributor

I am just going to throw this out there for you to chomp on if you wish.  We all know Speed Queen used to make one of the best agitator washers, with a real transmission, but they completely ruined it with their latest, current models.  Well hold on, I have read it from a good source, automaticwasher.org, that Speed Queen is about to bring out a "classic" model that goes back to the original agitator with transmission roots, is built with quality like they used to be...  only one catch that I can recall from the read... it has a very limited water level selection, I think only two selections half or full tub and that depends on the cycle you are choosing.  So, if you always wanted the "good" Speed Queen topload with agitator you might get your wish soon as long as you can make the water level selection work for you.   As far as I know they are not in stores yet but are coming soon (don't quote me on that ha ha).  Go to that website if you want to do some of your own research on it and get the latest on it.  I guess Speed Queen realized that they really did screw it up afterall and that washer purists weren't happy with the changes.  If you are in a hurry and can't wait for the promised land washer to return then the Maytag that Foxeeee mentioned in her post is probably a good enough option for agitator lovers.