Honored Contributor

Re: Washer/Dryer Recommendations Requested

@World Traveler wrote:

@ECBG Oh, that is a good point. I want a washer that will take a big load. I used to have a refrigerator made by LG; it was very good. I should look at their washers/dryers.

Thanks!

@World Traveler 

With all of the safety now, I can no longer add the water, open the top and stir in my powdered oxyclean for my white clothes.

I just changed to Oxyclean liquid.  That was simple!, lol!!!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 Quiet is always good. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@sunshine45 Quiet is always good. Smiley Happy

@sunshine45 

Mine is very quiet!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just got a text from the guy who came out to repair my dryer and couldn't get the part anymore. I asked him which brand he has the least calls on and which one he recommends. He said any Whirlpool made units are good; guess Whirlpool makes others and puts different names on them. Think that includes Maytag, Jen Air, etc.

When I asked which brand to avoid, all he said was "less is better." When I questioned him more, he said "less options." The more bells and whistles, the more it costs to fix, which we already talked about on this thread. Makes sense.

But......I also want a good looking set in my utility room.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler 

I can say we had a Whirlpool dryer for 31 or 33 years before we had to replace it. We now have another Whirlpool dryer.

My washer died several months ago. It was a Whirlpool. I can say it did not last as long as my other washer.

I did some research before I bought another washer & chose not to buy another Whirlpool. I did not research dryers since I'm not replacing it until it stops working.

I don't care if they match or not they are behind closed doors. LOL!!!

I ended up buying a top loading Samsung. So far so good.

I did not want to end up with a machine that eats clothes, or fill with enough water to get the job done.

Decide which model you like so you can research plus read some reviews before making your final decision.

At any rate whatever you buy you will be lucky if it lasts 10 yrs. 

I research everything before we buy it.

Honored Contributor

@NightowlzInteresting that you say that about the 10 years. I just went online and asked about best/worst brands, and someone asked how long should you expect the washer/dryer to last. The answer was ten years. That really surprised me. They used to last longer. Same with cars. I know my 55 Chevy is still humming along somewhere! LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz Oh, I have to have them match! ha! That would surely screw up my senses if I walked into the utility room and one was a different color or if one was really big like I have now, and the other one was the smaller size. 

That's just one of my idiosyncrasies. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Whirlpool Duet—front loading.  Bought the washer/dryer set about 5 or 6 years ago, at the same time two friends also did since our old respective washers all died about the same time.  Each of us is still really happy we bought them. Zero problems. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Nightowlz Oh, I have to have them match! ha! That would surely screw up my senses if I walked into the utility room and one was a different color or if one was really big like I have now, and the other one was the smaller size. 

That's just one of my idiosyncrasies. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler 

I won't replace it if it's not broke. The only thing I will replace before it quits is our AC. I keep telling DH we need to replace it. It seems to cool ok but does not remove humidity like it should. That's telling me it needs to be replaced. When we bought it they told us it would last 8-10 yrs. It's 20 yrs old or so now.

When we updated the kitchen 21 yrs ago we left the stove/oven in the kitchen because it still worked. It still works today.

Hoping to get kitchen remodel done this year.

I have no idea what to look for since my stove is so old. I don't know what's out there.

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove Thanks! I have enjoyed the front loading because it uses less water and it doesn't beat the H*** out of my clothes! Smiley Happy  And it is quieter; at least compared to the top loading/agitator I had prior to the current machine.