Trusted Contributor

Re: Washer/Dryer Recommendations Requested

Speed Queen -- not fancy but they are excellent quality. I'm on my second set. The first set lasted approximately 20 years. 

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler I am jealous that you actually got a "repairman" to look at your washer.  We used to have several in our neighborhood, but sadly they are gone and not one repairman can be found who works on the older dryers, stoves, washing machines, etc., they say, we don't service your type of machine   My 40 year old washing machine woks like a dream.  So I have not been able to purchase a new machine.  But my friends say that they all have "water restrictions" related to green energy and are not the same as the old warriors.

Honored Contributor

@tobes I called him on a Saturday and he came out Monday after I got home from work. I was thrilled he was so fast. But sadly, the outcome of his visit and the bad news that the part is no longer made made it was not the best of news. Smiley Happy

I used to have a home service that you pay monthly for and then when someone comes out, you pay an additional $75 for the service call. Then the company pays for whatever you need. But I have become disenchanted with that kind of service, because their monthly rates went up to around $65/mo, whether you use the service or not; and then you pay the $75 when someone comes out. And I was getting a boatload of not-so-good vendors coming out, requiring someone else to come out and re-do the job.

When I figured out that I only need the service about once a year, it didn't make sense to pay that monthly fee. And.......I already had installed two new air conditioners and two whole house fans in the past few years. So I didn't see any other major expense that warranted me continuing with the plan.

But the guy who came out was one I met/used thru the home service in the past and I liked how honest he was with me before. So I just called him directly. He charged me $65 for coming out rather than the $75 I would have paid thru the home service. He made more money out of it that way.

Also, after he heard me mention all the problems I had with getting good repairmen out to the house thru the home service, he gave me a list of tradesmen in various areas (electrician, plumber, etc.) he personally knows as being honest, so now I have some good referrals if something else happens in the house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update.....thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering Maytag. Should have it in two weeks from Lowe's.

If you are planning to purchase a washer and/or dryer, the lead time is 2-3 months for many of the brands I looked at. One company, think it was Samsung or Whirlpool, had a lead time of 120 days before you would receive it. Better chances if you order white, which I didn't want.

I talked with one of my co-workers this morning and she said that she knows someone in the construction business and some new developments are having trouble getting air conditioners....long lead times......before the owners move in.

The reason given is COVID-19 and the lower number of people working due to social distancing or being sick which is causing these delays.

Honored Contributor

I will only use a top loader, with agitator, and full fill. Still able to get that in Speed Queen. Bought their top of the line, and got a 10 year warranty (usually it's 7 years) as they were running a special. Loving it so far (had it over a year now).