Respected Contributor

Re: Warning for Angie's List users

@ChrissyKR

We now use NextDoor Neighbors

Honored Contributor

I've belonged to Angies List for almost 10 years and have used them to select everything from auto mechanics to home repairers.  I've never had a bad experience.  I hired a roofing company from the list for a $12,000 new roof in June.  Everything was perfect and I'm well-pleased with the job.

The worst experience I had was with a contractor from Lowe's hired to install some new interior doors.  They weren't installed correctly; the contractor made 2 trips to fix them and the manager of Lowe's door department made one trip all to no avail.  I finally got on my hands and knees and quickly discovered that a bracket on the floor was not properly installed; it was missing a screw causing it to swivel and fall.  It was then fixed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We redid our old shore house last winter while we were in FL: our property manager / realtor headed the project.  It went very well.

The most frustrating parts involved contractors to Home Depot who applied crazy- making and cost-escalating methods to calculating carpeting needed.  FInally, DH showed them exactly how to carpet the third floor configuration with minimal excess.

The second most frustrating and time consuming effort at Home Depot involved designing the complex, space-headache kitchen cabinet layout.  The first person we worked with was a part-timer who couldn't be reached easily; designs and redesigns weren't communicated well or when needed; and, lastly messages to her weren't conveyed by the regular staff.

Once we switched to a regular staff person who was experienced and really listened to our needs, the project took off beautifully.

Installations were handled well:  Home Depot did the carpeting for their incredible winter price program and our own project manager did the flooring and cabinets.  

When end we came back home, we did a thorough top to bottom cleaning and redo of linens, mattresses and furniture.

While the place had been rented during the several years on the sale market, there was one offer ( extremely bad timing with the mortgage crises, etc. ).  Now that we love the place again and it's off both the rental and sale markets, we were approached by 2 different folks who asked if we were interested in selling it.

Really.......!!!!!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

About two years ago, I was looking for a handyman to help repair some items in an apartment which I was vacating.  On Angie's List, I found my guy.  Nice on the phone, nice when he visited my apartment to actually see what I wanted him to do, and all five star ratings. I also hired a painter. The first man--the handyman--never showed up to do the job. When I called him, he answered that "the job was not worth it to him."  Hmm--then why accept it in the first place?  Anyway, I left a 2 star rating. That man bombarded me with phone calls daily to raise that rating.  It never appeared on Angie's List. I never changed it.

The painter I hired was better, but not as dependable as I would have liked. I had to have the apartment vacated on a Saturday. I was moved out a week early. All I needed to do was put the apartment back to the condition it was when I moved in. I was there for twelve years. The painter only showed up the day before I had to turn in the key.  He was not finished with the job when I had to turn in the key, so I grabbed a paint brush and finished the job myself.  This man, as the previous one, had all five-star ratings.  I do not trust Angie's List at all. Maybe I just had some bad luck, but I never would use again.

Esteemed Contributor

I found it best to go with Contractors that others have used.

The 5 star Electrition that I hired...never showed up....

Trusted Contributor

I got several estimates for painters. The highest (by over $1000)  was from someone on Angie's List.

Someone else highly rated on AL did another job for me and I would not recommend him for any job!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't belong to AL currently.  Do they reinstate you automatically if you choose the free program?  I never found many contractors were in my immediate area when I last used it.  The last several months of my membership were worthless cause I couldn't search properly on their website and they never fixed it.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Nightowlz wrote:

Kind of like the stories I have heard about Lowe's. People buy windows, carpets etc & pay to have them installed. Lowe's sends someone out to do the work but they don't work for Lowe's. I have heard the horror stories of disaster.

We always do any work around here if we can do it.

If we pay someone to do the work we have gone by word of mouth from people we know with references plus seeing the work the person has done before we hire them.

The guys who Lowe's send out to do the installing actually are skilled and work under Lowe's insurance and license. They also, send a lead person with the installers who is an expert and trouble shooter. I have had a few jobs done from Lowe's and was pleased with the work. Lowe's is responsible for having the job done to your satisfaction and on time and it is all in the contract. Also their work is warranted.