Respected Contributor

Warning for Angie's List users

Warning for Angie's list users.

Everyone loves the idea that the contractors have to be insured, licensed and bonded to be on Angie's List, BUT

The loophole:

Example my mother spoke to a painter from Angie's List got a contract for the work with a price- great.

The painter sent sub-contractors out to do the work.  They were not employees and were not covered under the Painter's insurance.

When I asked for their proof of insurance (after I saw these crack pots in action) they laughed at me.  They admitted they are basically day workers paid by companies who list on Angies list and send them out to do the work.

The one worker admitted that the day before he was laying tile for another guy.  The worker was an out of work writer with no training or experience.

Be SURE that anyone sent to your house is an employee of the 'company' or the actual people/person you met with.  Day workers are not covered.

It is a new version on bait and switch!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Warning for Angie's List users

Good advice @Abrowneyegirl.

Honored Contributor

Kind of like the stories I have heard about Lowe's. People buy windows, carpets etc & pay to have them installed. Lowe's sends someone out to do the work but they don't work for Lowe's. I have heard the horror stories of disaster.

We always do any work around here if we can do it.

If we pay someone to do the work we have gone by word of mouth from people we know with references plus seeing the work the person has done before we hire them.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow thanks for the information.  I joined Angie's list last year I think but have not done business with any of the contractors.

Respected Contributor

I'm guessing a lot of that is happening down here in Florida after the hurricane in September.

Honored Contributor

Very good read, info much appreciated,

Image result for thank you images

Super Contributor

Thanks for the info, always good to know.

On another note, I have used recommendations from Next Door Neighbor and been very pleased. I like this because your neighbors have experience with a variety of contractors and you get honest feedback.

Honored Contributor

I don't trust Angie's List either.  I used them when I had new siding put on my house this summer.  The company actually did a great job, but the owner did something that really upset me.  I gave them a 3 star rating because of how unprofessional he was.  I did say that the workers did a great job.  I just recently checked Angie's List for that contractor to see what their new reviews had been and couldn't find mine.  They seemed to be in order by date, but I went back quite a bit farther and couldn't find mine.  I e-mailed Angie's List to ask where my review was, and they checked and said it was there.  I believe since it wasn't a 5 star review it had gotten pushed way back.  I like to read good and bad reiews before I decide on a company.  I will never use Angie's List to make a decision like that again.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My S.O. has his own contractor license and is such a handyman. He is also very particular about his work he does at our house and anyone who hires him. He does this type of work in the summer and on his days offfrom his regular job. 

He says to me all the time, “I don’t know how some people sleep at night knowing they didn’t do something right by someone who has hired them and paid them to do something.” He drives school bus as his regular job and he will retire from that in 2 years. He is a lot older than me, but that doesn’t matter. He will say sometimes that he is worried about not getting any extra work with his carpentry and such. I tell him that word of mouth in our rural area is still the best advertising. He is constantly being ask to do jobs for people. He doesn’t charge an arm and a leg and is very meticulous with his work. It’s getting harder to find honest people and it’s sad. 

One example and then I’ll stop- A few years ago he decided to redo the rock and mantle around our fireplace. He laid the stone down on the living room floor in the design and pattern that he wanted it. It laid like that for 3 days as he made little changes moving rocks around. He said he could not just grow it on the wall any old way. Sometimes it gets to him though and he will say, “ I wish I wasn’t so picky.” I’m glad he is though. His siblings- not so much. Night and day!! 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack

Thank you for mentioning this!  Very interesting.

I also like to read both positive and negetive feedback.

Anymore if someone or something only as positive feedback I start to doubt if it is really true, honest comments.  Now I check the dates of the comments and how many other reviews posters have made.  I hate to be that way but.....