Respected Contributor

Re: Want my old washing machine back

@shoesnbags wrote:

@evelynerI don't blame you for being unhappy.  I couldn't live with those low water levels.  My beloved Kenmore Elite died 10 months ago.  We replaced it with a Speed Queen.  I can set the water depth to low, med or high.  There is also an Auto setting which I never use.  Given how much I use the washer, the Speed Queen was worth every penny.  Also has a 7 year warranty.

@shoesnbags Love my Speed Queen of 5 years. Makes doing wash a pleasure.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I bought a new GE washer, used it 2 days and knew it was not for me, due to no full fill water option.  The filling by sensor options are quite misleading.  

I chose a Whirlpool commercial washer, no frills, exactly what you will find in a laundrymat.  Basic wash cycles, water temp choices and a push button start; works great.  Definitely a good choice for me and I would choose the same machine again in a heartbeat.    

@RedTop just wondering how or where you were able to purchase a commercial machine. I agree that is the only way to go, no restrictions. 

Honored Contributor

I have a GE and keep mine set at the highest level there is and also always on a deep rinse by filling the softener dispenser on the agitator with water to fool it.

Even doing that, there are times when I have to fill a bucket or two to increase the level. 

I tried the precise setting once and it was a joke, there wasn't enough water to wet a pair of socks and a tee shirt.

Honored Contributor

I've been through so many washers and dryers the past 7 years we've lived here. I just purchased, a few months ago, a Samsung set. With every bell and whistle they make! I LOVE them!! I adore all of the upgraded options! I look forward to doing laundry now. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

My Whirlpool is about 35 yrs old also.  I hope I don't jinx it by writing this!  I love it.  Have had it repaired only about twice in all those years.

I can control the water level and set water temp to what I want.  I hope it keeps on working forever!

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Is there any way you can add more water?  Like using a large jug or pitcher of water?

My last two washers were new, but give me plenty of water and they aren't Speed Queens.

@Lucky Charm 

What brand are they?  It sounds as if there are a lot of posters here who would like to know what kind of washer to buy that will give them lots of water.  That aren't Speed Queens.  Fess up, girl!

The one for this house I bought in 2018 is a GE stackable.  One piece.  And not front loaders!  The basket or basin in the washer is HUGE and has the center agitator and I can use all the water I want or need as I always have it set on large loads.

The other one was a Whirlpool (stackable, top loader, center agitator and big basin).  That was bought in 2018, too, but we've since moved.

I guess this one is still *new* to me because we just moved here permanently.

I don't have the space for side by sides here, but am happy enough with the stackables.  Have had them in 4 homes before.

@shoesnbags 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I just set it and walk away.  Never felt like anything wasn't clean.  The only thing I don't like about front loaders is you can't get the clothes out without inevitably dropping something on the floor because everything gets all tangled.  

You're right about dropping clothes on the floor.  I've only used that kind at vacation rentals, so of course---I consider them dirty again (lol).  I'm not wild about front loaders because I am famous for adding things after the wash cycle has started.  Don't think you can open a front loader to add that hand towel as an afterthough.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Is there any way you can add more water?  Like using a large jug or pitcher of water?

My last two washers were new, but give me plenty of water and they aren't Speed Queens.

@Lucky Charm 

What brand are they?  It sounds as if there are a lot of posters here who would like to know what kind of washer to buy that will give them lots of water.  That aren't Speed Queens.  Fess up, girl!

The one for this house I bought in 2018 is a GE stackable.  One piece.  And not front loaders!  The basket or basin in the washer is HUGE and has the center agitator and I can use all the water I want or need as I always have it set on large loads.

The other one was a Whirlpool (stackable, top loader, center agitator and big basin).  That was bought in 2018, too, but we've since moved.

I guess this one is still *new* to me because we just moved here permanently.

I don't have the space for side by sides here, but am happy enough with the stackables.  Have had them in 4 homes before.

@shoesnbags 

Thanks @Lucky Charm .  Who knows how many may read this thread looking for a washer that allows them to control water levels, and your two washers might be a good choice for them. I'm very happy with my Speed Queen but realize that others might want a less expensive alternative and it seems as if you found not one, but two.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 

I bought my Whirlpool commercial washer from the local Lowe's store.  It was not in stock, but came within 5 days of my purchase.

Valued Contributor

@wakefield64 

Thats how I felt about our toilets....

Everything seemed to be  water savers.

Thats one place where you want a good amount of water, the water dept isn't paying my bill, why should they care how much goes in my tank?

I don't mind when its number 1, but for number 2, you better be dead on center,       or its not pretty...

Why do they always have to mess with a good thing?

New  isn't always better...

Hang on to those old appliances....