Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Do you like and use wallpaper in your home?

When we moved into this house over 20 years ago wallpaper or a wallpaper border was in every single room, including the finished basement. I really loved the blue and white painterly stripe paper with French country cottage border in the kitchen. I also liked the magnolia print paper in the full bathroom. The papers in the other rooms were fine with one exception - the half bath was awful. 

I never knew my DH hated wallpaper when we were looking for houses and bought this one! I found out a few years later when I told him I was going to remove the ugly wallpaper in the 1/2 bath. I asked him why he didn’t tell me. He said since we liked the house, and it was in an area we liked, he didn’t mention it. 😳 

Well, 21 years later, all the wallpaper is gone. He is very happy. The last of the paper was removed when we remodeled our basement in 2019 after a flood. I like the solid wall colors because they are more versatile than papered walls, but I still remember how much I liked some of the wallpaper. 

Any other wallpaper stories or opinions?

Respected Contributor

I like wallpaper. I only have it in my dining room, since it has been out of fashion. But if HGTV is to be believed it is coming back.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I do have a wallpaper border in my den. 

Respected Contributor

I used to love wallpaper and had it in several rooms. We removed the last of it two years ago when we remodeled our guest room. Never again. I don't care for it at all.

Respected Contributor

Every house I've owned has been old. Wallpaper seems to really go well in rooms that are big with tall ceilings, and especially the ones that have a picture railing that is about 16 inches from the ceiling.

Two things I've learned, never paint over wallpaper, and never put wallpaper in a room that gets steamed up too much.  Here is a small bath at my house:

872B53D7-85CF-4593-B90B-543AE3104AD0_1_201_a.jpeg

Honored Contributor

No.  Having wallpaper anywhere in a house/apartment woud be a deal breaker for me.

Honored Contributor

I love my wallpaper, and couldn't care less if it's in style or not. Fashion in home decor comes and goes, but I know what I like and what makes me happy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid it's a deal breaker for me too.  I don't care for wallpaper at all and know that if I buy a house with it already there, I'll have to take it down sooner or later and I would pretty much rather do anything else!  Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I always loved wall paper.  When I was young everyone had wall paper in one or more of their rooms.  I think the bathroom always had wall paper!  I loved the florals and some of the themes you could pick for certain areas.  

When I had my own place I did put up wallpaper in the kitchen and bathroom.  However, as time went by it was easier to paint and there were a variety of colors to choose from  However, to this day I still like the look of wallpaper , within my taste of course, and maybe one day will opt for wallpaper in a couple of rooms. I'm sure there are some great patterns to pick from.

Honored Contributor

Of couse, it dpends on the paper and I'm not fan of the currrent crush decorators seem to be having with grass cloth, but yes, I like wallpaper and if it's a pattenr I'd choose, I like it a lot. I'm less fond of most borders, most of which seem sort of dated to me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...