Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wallpaper Is Back

[ Edited ]

No more wallpaper for me! I just had wallpaper removed in two of three bathrooms. It was expensive. But having the walls redone before painting was even more expensive. Had I known the process would be so costly, that wallpaper would never have been put up in the first place!                            

It's attractive for a while, but like most decor it becomes dated. Wallpaper can't be donated to Charity!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I love the look of wallpaper, but when we moved into our current home, the previous owners had wallpapered everything, the kitchen was wallpapered from ceiling to floor and both bathrooms as well. 

It was a tedious mess removing all of that wallpaper as well......So unless removing it has improved tremendously, I would not wallpaper again, even though I like the look!

Honored Contributor

Like many of you I like it in small doses and can remember the struggle trying to remove old wallpaper! UGH! ...It was awful!

My DD just bought a new place and is thinking of wallpaering just an accent wall in her master bedroom. I'm sure it will look great!

Esteemed Contributor

I was never a fan of wallpaper......then or now!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Wallpaper is very personal.  I think if you have any plans on selling your home, probably best not to wallpaper at all.  We bought a home years ago that had quite a bit of wallpaper, we  ended up hiring someone to remove it, and re paint, it was quite a job.

Having said that, I think some wallpaper can be beautiful and add personality to a room.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Super Contributor

look up TEMPAPER on QVC it is easy to stick on and remove .I do like 1 wall papered and have noticed in UK it is being used more there than here . 

Respected Contributor

I have put up so much wallpaper in my life! Ugh! My Mom & her husband owned office buildings & we were always putting up wallpaper.

Hanging wallpaper is sort of fun. Taking down wallpaper is NO fun.

I do have border in my bedroom & downstairs bathroom. I think they are both really pretty & I just painted around them.

If anyone needs to remove border or wallpaper buy blue Windex!

I have used wallpaper remover, steamers, the claw....spray blue Windex on the wallpaper, let it set for a minute, peel off the wallpaper (or sometimes, depending on the wallpaper just the front strips off & then you spray again & take off the backing.). Spray again & use your plastic scraper to get the glue off.

Blue Windex. If you have watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding, it's no joke.

Respected Contributor

No more wallpaper for me.....ever. Removing it is a nightmare. 

Honored Contributor

Wall paper has never been out of style.  It has been out of trend. . .

And if it is properly installed with the right backing on a well prepped wall, it can be taken off.  So many builders and handy men don't know how to hang it, and some just slap it on dry wall.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am a wallpaper fan, when used judiciously. I come from women who liked and used wallpaper, too. Maybe it's in my DNA, LOL!  I have had wallpaper in every home I have ever owned- usually two rooms papered.

My preference is for wallpapers with texture as opposed to print. In my previous home I used a gorgeous faux leather paper in the hall bath. In my present home: a subtle bronze metallic textured paper in my powder room and a bold, contemporary floral Candice Olson paper on a narrow accent wall in my master bath. I love both. I have no plans to add wallpaper elsewhere in my home at this time. I have painted the kitchen, master bath and guest room.

When my DDIL's sister (age 25) saw my powder room paper she went nuts for the wallpaper!  Maybe the younger generation is discovering that there are a lot more choices than the dainty florals our grandmothers used back in the day. She said she must have it for the bathroom in her new city row house. I went directly to the basement and gave her the extra roll that I had there.

For the record, I do not care for the JG paper pictured above. I looked through a book of her papers at the paint store. Nothing appealed to me, but if you are willing to look there are a great variety of papers. The good ones, as you might imagine, are not inexpensive.

I love wallpaper used in small spaces, especially a powder room or small bathroom.