Honored Contributor

Wall colors for light reflection rather than what goes with everything

[ Edited ]

Everyone is aware that we are told to paint our walls in neutrals, whether to make a house easier to sell, or to make it simpler to change out pillows, etc. when we change our minds, and so on.

I like the idea of painting some walls in a color that reflects light in a soft, flattering way.  For instance, my living room is a pink-toned beige.  People don't realize that living with it uplifts the spirits while it is reflecting its softness back at you.

Edited to add that the color that reflects back onto you can make you look good and healthy, or not.  Maybe not as much as blush, but it's much like wearing a soft, warm color next to your face.

I think often we don't think about what a color does so much as just what it looks like.   

I've also found that it sets off all the pictures on the walls so much better than the soft white I used to have in that room.

Has anyone found these things to be true for themselves?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Wall colors for light reflection rather than what goes with everything

I do agree about color and the way it makes one feel.

I think that different colors make positive feelings to different people, and there is no one right answer as to just what color is ALWAYS calming, or soothing or any other feeling, but is more in the eye of the beholder.

I know for me, I don't want a 'cold' look to any room, but I struggle with light. 

As I age, I want the rooms of my home to be as light as possible without looking stark or sterile. There are a lot of ways to achieve this, lighting, window coverings, wall coloring, floor coverings, furniture and decor colors etc. 

But for me, when I change from what many would call a white wall (and they aren't really white, but more of a cream/ivory/ kind of look), it significantly darkens a room in my home, even with light floors and light window treatments. 

So in many places, I default to something closer to white, just to get that bright and sunny feeling in a room. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize this until I did one wall in my den with wallpaper.  It is patterned but so small that it looks solid unless you are right at it.  Looking at that wall makes me smile!  I love pink or lavender beiges.

Honored Contributor

We live in a highly wooded area, so far back that we have Jack in the Pulpit and Lady's Slippers just 20 feet off of the deck.  The house is cedar sided and has a wraparound poarch.  Between the porch and the trees, I work hard to bring light into the house.  We swear by Sherwin Williams Dover white, an egg shell without going into yellow.  I have a collection of quilt prints over a red couch.  I need a neutral that works with antiques.

Image result for jack in the pulpit plant

Valued Contributor

me love pink one.

Honored Contributor

I live in Florida - I tend to paint light absorbing colors not light reflecting. With all the sunlight it would be like living in a prism if we had light reflecting walls.

Honored Contributor

Hi @151949

I think I wasn't clear enough.

I don't mean just light reflection, I mean more how the actual color reflects back onto us as we move through the day.   

So, say someone paints the walls in a cool gray or blue color so the coolness reflects back whereas someone else uses a warm-toned beige or pinkish paint and the warmth reflects back onto them.   

Color, tone, and all the rest I find fascinating.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.