Honored Contributor

Re: Wall color suggestions for my small kitchen.

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I have a small kitchen. 

• White wood cabinets.
  • White subway tile backsplash.
  • Dark gray quartz countertops.
  • Stainless steel major appliances.
  • Black small appliances - KA mixer, toaster
  • Wood floors.
  • Palm green Le Creuset pots that are on the stovetop 24/7

Right now, the walls are a lemony yellow.  I haven't been happy with the color since I had the kitchen painted three years ago.  I was thinking of repainting it myself this summer, but I can't decide on a color.  Any suggestions?

apple pie kitchen mothers day 2018.jpg

kitchen 1.JPG

gracie in the kitchen 2017.JPG

Here's what I would do!  I would run a white chair rail around the painted walls and paint either below or above a nice shade of white.  Then later, you can paint over the yellow if you want.

I think in a small space a chair rail and two-toned paint really visually enlarges the space.  

I just thought more about this and you might want to just try a nice wide white chair rail at first.  That may be enough to visually enlarge without painting!  I am a huge fan of chair rails and wainscoting!  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  How about some green and yellow window toppers or chair cushions?  Green and yellow is so pretty, or even some fabric with other colors too like blue? 

Honored Contributor

I fugured out early that as much as I love the color yellow, I don't function well in it.  Our first kitchen had yellow walls and I wondered why I didn't like working in the kitchen.  Colors have an important impact.  For me, light taupe is soothing and I often pair it with red accessories.  Red makes me feel like I have the energy I need.  I couldn't do a red wall, but a few pops of red is just enough.  I also love a crisp white, but again, not too much.  So if you know what colors you live well with.... pick one of those....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@151949

That sounds like good advice.  My kitchen is not sunny. It has only one window which opens to a covered porch area. That could be the reason I have never liked the yellow.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Sooner

I also like chair rails and had them in my previous house, which included a breakfast nook. However, this kitchen is much too tiny to warrant it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

They don't stay hairless for long.  She requires a lion cut every 4 mos.  The photo of her at the beginning of this thread was right before one of her cuts.  We resisted it for many years - DH thought it would traumatize her. In reality, she seems to enjoy it - no hairballs when it's short.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Look through some decorating magazines and put tabs on the kitchens you like. You will be surprised at the pattern that will start forming. You might surprise yourself.

Honored Contributor

30B45AB8-C9A8-4DD6-B1CD-F01D59137421.jpeg

@house_cat

I guess you don’t want my paint job for your kitchen!

This is Behr Retro Pink taken from the swatch you posted.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri63

I love that Blue/Grey

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I guess you don’t want my paint job for your kitchen!

This is Behr Retro Pink taken from the swatch you posted.

@LTT1

Yuck.... that won't be happening.  I'd already ruled out that color and your photo just comfirms it.

~ house cat ~