Honored Contributor

I live in an area close to a lot of traffic. Whenever I wash my windows I notice the black soot on them, probably from all the pollution in the air. When I lived in house that was far from any city, my windows never got that dirty and when I cleaned them they didn't streak. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WINDOW CLEANING

[ Edited ]

Two things I have good luck with. Supercloths, of which I just received a new order from the Q. Just wet, squeeze out the excess water and go at it, they do a fine streak free job. The best actual window cleaner I've ever found is Castle Streakproof Glass Cleaner Professional Formula. Used to be able to buy that at the car wash but they don't have it anymore so have ordered from Amazon. Smells nice too and when you spray it on it doesn't run, it stays put till you wipe it around. But I'm down to my last can so going to look for the Sprayway at Lowe's.

So I was just checking out the Sprayway and altho someone upthread said it's made with ammonia, all the ads I'm seeing on-line (Amazon, Target and so forth) say it's ammonia free.

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I moved into a new home 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble cleaning windows....and I have A LOT of them (over 30).  I've tried everything...different windows cleaners, different brands of paper towels, vinegar, newspapers, etc.  I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased a window cleaning kit using a squeegee, microfiber cloth and cleaner.  After I used it, I thought finally something worked, but just to wake up this morning and see to all the windows I did yesterday look all streaked and dirty.  UGH!  I've also tried cleaning in all seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall) and days that are warmer and days that are much cooler (I live in the Southeast now).  In my old house, my windows came out perfectly everytime just using window and Costco papertowels.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what's going on.  Any advice or suggestions?

Try Lowes Glass Cleaner, made by Sprayway, streakless made with  ammonia, works wonders.

Sorry, it's ammonia free and made in USA

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I moved into a new home 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble cleaning windows....and I have A LOT of them (over 30).  I've tried everything...different windows cleaners, different brands of paper towels, vinegar, newspapers, etc.  I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased a window cleaning kit using a squeegee, microfiber cloth and cleaner.  After I used it, I thought finally something worked, but just to wake up this morning and see to all the windows I did yesterday look all streaked and dirty.  UGH!  I've also tried cleaning in all seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall) and days that are warmer and days that are much cooler (I live in the Southeast now).  In my old house, my windows came out perfectly everytime just using window and Costco papertowels.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what's going on.  Any advice or suggestions?

Try Lowes Glass Cleaner, made by Sprayway, streakless made with  ammonia, works wonders.

Sorry it's ammonia free and mad in USA

Honored Contributor

I've used nothing but Invisible Glass by Stoner for years.  Have always had great results.

Honored Contributor

Re: WINDOW CLEANING

[ Edited ]

i have a power wash company come to do the windows 4 -5 times a year. they do such a great thorough job inside and outside.

when i am touching them up myself, i prefer an aerosol window cleaner.

sprayway glass cleaner.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried "Invisible Glass" cleaner? That is the only one that works for me--streak free. I use a don Astlett microfiber cloth to wipe it off. I had similiar problems and live on the east coast. I have a lot of big windows so it was driving me crazy to see this "haze" appear or the streaks. I did have a window cleaning company for the outside windows but now that are out of business,  Looks like I'll have double duty.

I didi have a thought and wondered if your windows were treated with a "coating" from the factory. (uv protection, etc.) I remember a few coatings offered when we replace ours. it's just a thought but I had a friend who said that the "coating'" always looked hazy to her. 

Respected Contributor

I few years ago I asked a guy that was cleaning the windows at the grocery store what he was using to get the windows so clean.  He had a bucket and a squeegee.  He said it was window washing solution that you use in the car.

Respected Contributor

Sprayway is the best & you can find it at lots of stores...Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Dollar General, Walmart & more. I live in the country so there's lots of dust from farming, dirt roads & mowing acreage on windows & siding, it's DIY or pay big $$ to have it done. 

Honored Contributor

I also have been quite pleased with Sprayway Glass Cleaner. I have never had any trouble with it streaking.

And my cousin who has quite a few classic cars buys Sprayway by the case. He likes it so much.

I buy it at Sam's Club.