Respected Contributor

WHERE TO BUILD OR NOT TO BUILD......

Initial robin nest was just as you came up to the front porch to enter the house.  They had just started to build and I wasn't going to deal with them dive bombing us or guests.

Placed a large crumpled up piece of silver foil in the empty space.  They moved down two trees where everyone can be safe.  ( They had a host of trees and shrubs to pick from.)

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: WHERE TO BUILD OR NOT TO BUILD......

Good thing you caught them before they got too far along.

Respected Contributor

I saw a dove today with nest building materials in his beak sitting atop my hedge.  I'll have to keep an eye on the ledges around the front door as the doves like to build nests there.

Trusted Contributor

Ya'll should charge them rent....LOL. No squatters

Esteemed Contributor

We have bluebirds with a nest in our newspaper box - it's ok, we don't get the newspaper. The Carolina wrens on the other hand decided to try the garage - got rid of them quickly and then they tried the gutters - that was a no as well! 

Honored Contributor

I can't put a wreath on my front door!  We live in the woods and with all the trees here, they won't quit building in my wreath, then I open the front door and they're in the house!!!

Frequent Contributor

I live in the country and every spring barn swallows bluild their little mud nest in the corner of my back patio.. This year, some other little bird beat them to it and built its nest there. The odd thing about it is that when the babies began to start moving around in the nest, they either fell out or the parents pushed them out. One day I found one dead baby bird on my patio. The next day, I find two dead baby birds lying  on the patio.

So , then the parent birds build a nest in another corner of the patio covering and would you believe that the babies in that nest also ended up dead on the patio.  I could not figure out what could have happened.