Super Contributor

Re: WHAT DID YOU BUY FROM VALERIE'S 8-22 MORNING SHOW?

On 8/23/2014 SHOPR said:
On 8/23/2014 blueskies said:That's a beautiful plate ! I love old dishes . My mom had a beautiful set of dishes , but all that's left is a serving platter . I think another family member got hold of the rest . I found the pattern online , and a single dinner plate is a little pricey . Who would have thought ? I love them for the memories anyway & the platter isn't going anywhere . I'm so glad I at least found one piece . Treasure them .

blueskies, I love the old plates for the memories, too. My grandmother never had a complete set of any of the more detailed patterns. She displayed a variety of patterns on the kitchen walls. From time to time, she would let us choose a plate, then she'd take it down, wash it, and let us eat our meal on that plate.

I'm glad you have your mom's platter. Perhaps with a sturdy enough easel, it could be displayed.

JPC, lucymo and mousiegirl, Thanks.

My grandmother had a set of Blue Willow dishes . I was very young but remember having Sunday dinner on those plates . Children notice details & I remember studying the pattern / being fascinated with it . Eventually , I also was fortunate to get a silver serving spoon of hers , that my parents used at our house . They said it was hers , so I was given it when my dad moved in with my brother recently . I think of her each time I see it . I've used it a few times too . In my parents cellar , I also found a box of assorted dishes . A few look like Depression era stamped glass plates .....one is an Old English Roses with gold trim , others I don't recognize ..... Luckily there are web sites where we can identify dinnerware patterns . I've been thinking about redoing my dining room hutch , into a display case of the dozen old plates I now have , with hand-crocheted doilies , and a few tea cups & saucers . Maybe tucking a few small flameless candles on timers , in among them . That might be pretty . DH did install a shelf light inside , which has added more lighting . In the hutch right now , I store my " Sunday /holiday " dishes by Pfaltzgraft ( ? ) in a pale peach color & tiny flowers around rim . Time for a change I think .
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 blueskies said: My grandmother had a set of Blue Willow dishes . I was very young but remember having Sunday dinner on those plates . Children notice details & I remember studying the pattern / being fascinated with it . Eventually , I also was fortunate to get a silver serving spoon of hers , that my parents used at our house . They said it was hers , so I was given it when my dad moved in with my brother recently . I think of her each time I see it . I've used it a few times too . In my parents cellar , I also found a box of assorted dishes . A few look like Depression era stamped glass plates .....one is an Old English Roses with gold trim , others I don't recognize ..... Luckily there are web sites where we can identify dinnerware patterns . I've been thinking about redoing my dining room hutch , into a display case of the dozen old plates I now have , with hand-crocheted doilies , and a few tea cups & saucers . Maybe tucking a few small flameless candles on timers , in among them . That might be pretty . DH did install a shelf light inside , which has added more lighting . In the hutch right now , I store my " Sunday /holiday " dishes by Pfaltzgraft ( ? ) in a pale peach color & tiny flowers around rim . Time for a change I think .

blueskies, I really like your idea of changing up your hutch to display the old plates, cups, and saucers. Perfect idea to add in a few doilies and also the flameless candles to help illuminate everything at night. I don't have a hutch/china cabinet, but if I did, I'm pretty sure this is what I would do with it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Just Plain Crazy said:

Nice Marsha, that really looks good. Darn, I got rid of my Xmas village and all the little figures that were with it. Sure could use some of them for something like this.

Thanks for sharing

JPC

JPC, All the more reason to go shopping for more, right? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Marsha, The cheese dome on the footed plate looks so nice! That is brilliant.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 lucymo said:

I have a similar cake dome with a pedestal cake plate. Last year I made a miniature Gingerbread village in it, with trees, mini houses and people. I'm sure the uses are many. There are so many items in our homes that could be used for some very pretty projects.

I imagine the village looked adorable inside the cake dome. I agree, we probably have so many items with decorating potential.

Respected Contributor

Nice Marsha, that really looks good. Darn, I got rid of my Xmas village and all the little figures that were with it. Sure could use some of them for something like this.

Thanks for sharing

JPC

Target, HL and probably other craft stores have inexpensive miniature village accessories and people around the holidays if you want to create your own scene.

Respected Contributor

Marsha, you just gave me a great idea on what to do with my LR cloche comes. Thanks for your pic!
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Marsha2003 said:
On 8/23/2014 SHOPR said:
On 8/23/2014 Marsha2003 said:

SHOPR, that's a gorgeous plate that would look terrific as the base for a cloche. I noticed that my HomeGoods had a pedestal cake plate with a glass cover for $14.99. The base was pressed glass that wasn't very attractive, but you could set your plate on top of it and it would really look good.

No HomeGoods without a road trip, but I do have an 11" cake dome similar to this. Is this what you found, or a different shape/size?

Anchor Hocking Cake Dome, Clear, 11.25

I also have a couple of cut crystal round platters (not footed, but pretty) that I think would be the correct diameter to go with the dome. I almost never use any of these pieces for serving food, so I should put them to use in some way. Thanks for the idea.

I think it was similar in shape. I found this really poor picture that I took of a cheese dome sitting on a footed cake plate with a scene inside that I did two or three years ago.

Scene

Darling!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

On 8/24/2014 SHOPR said:

Thanks for sharing

JPC

JPC, All the more reason to go shopping for more, right? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Marsha, The cheese dome on the footed plate looks so nice! That is brilliant.

Exactly what I thought SHOPR, something to keep an eye out for. But some of mine would have worked out really good but I hadn't put my village out since I had no little ones around as it took a full 2 days to put it together so finally decided I could use that storage space for other things.

JPC

Trusted Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Marsha2003 said:

Thanks for sharing

JPC

Target, HL and probably other craft stores have inexpensive miniature village accessories and people around the holidays if you want to create your own scene.

They usually have a lot of accessories and people at Menards too Marsha. Will have to keep an eye out for some cool ones.

That is why I love this place, so many ideas coming from many creative posters.

JPC

Honored Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Just Plain Crazy said:
On 8/24/2014 Marsha2003 said:

Thanks for sharing

JPC

They usually have a lot of accessories and people at Menards too Marsha. Will have to keep an eye out for some cool ones.

That is why I love this place, so many ideas coming from many creative posters.

JPC

JPC, I totally agree with you about all the great ideas that we can learn from other posters. Wish we could all sit down around a big table and get our creative juices going and make all kinds of beautiful things. But, since that isn't possible, I'll rely on the boards for all the wonderful ideas. Thank you, ladies.