Honored Contributor

WHAT CAUSES WHITE RESIDUE ON LAUNDRY?

[ Edited ]

Any and all feedback welcome here ....

I just did a load of dark clothing in the washer, using Tide with Downey.   Perma press cycle.

No tissues in pockets, not an overloaded washer ... and there are white "smudges" that are on many pieces. 

I have experienced this with different brands of soap.  I never use powder laundry soap.  

Have you experienced this and solved the problem?  Any theories?   

Please share your experience.

TIA!   Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT CAUSES WHITE RESIDUE ON LAUNDRY?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 I had this happen years ago with one of the Maytag "when Maytag made them" washers. I could not get the problem resolved. I decided it was the fabric softener dispenser, but don't recall ever having a spot-free load of darks. After I replaced the machine, I never had the problem again.

Super Contributor

Top loader without agitator?  I have that happen also. I have blamed it on the automatic water level not adding sufficient amount of water but have no idea if that is really the reason. I now use the extra rinse function every time so that cancels out any water saved by these new washers thst won't let us set the water levels. I hate my newish Samsung washer. Repa man said not to count on it lasting more thsn 5 years so guess I will be getting a new one in a coup!e of years. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I often add the extra rinse cycle when washing dark clothing.  

QVC Customer Care
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of non agitator washer disasters:  I bought a Whirlpool high capacity non agitator.  I've owned it for 8 mths, never have hated a machine more.  Seemed like every 2nd load, a code would come up, I'd have to reload it ( sometimes twice) any load took 3 hrs.  2 weeks ago it wouldn't go through complete start up cycle and Whirlpool ( through my maintenance contract) took 2 full weeks to come to my house.  He said nothing was wrong, reset to factory resets, and machine washed 5 more loads before doing it again.  Fortunately, Lowes is replacing it; I chose a Maytag with an agitator ( if they will sell me floor model  I'll have it by Tues, otherwise it'll take 2 1/2 weeks for delivery.  What is wrong with this country's supply cycle and quality of manufacturing?  I'm bummed!

Esteemed Contributor

Could be from not using the proper water level.  Not enough water to rinse clothing properly.

When I have an extra large load, I rinse twice.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Any and all feedback welcome here ....

I just did a load of dark clothing in the washer, using Tide with Downey.   Perma press cycle.

No tissues in pockets, not an overloaded washer ... and there are white "smudges" that are on many pieces. 

I have experienced this with different brands of soap.  I never use powder laundry soap.  

Have you experienced this and solved the problem?  Any theories?   

Please share your experience.

TIA!   Woman Frustrated

@Tinkrbl44    Just a suggestion.  I  had the same problem.  I think is is partly because I have well water.  Even with a water softener system...I was still getting the same problem with some white streaks on dark clothes regardless of what detergent I used.  I think I solved the problem.  I use Tide Washing Machine Cleaner once a month to remove residue buildup in the tub. Apparently that was why Clothes had the streaks.    It works like a charm.  You can find it at Walmart. Highly recommend.  😊

Honored Contributor

I rinse everything twice. 

Honored Contributor

This was becoming a real issue since I have to wear black scrubs to work.  I stopped using fabric softener.  Then we replaced the washer.  Still had a problem.  Then the house burned and we got another new washer.

What I've found is this: Use less detergent.

This seems to work.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~