Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT CAUSES WHITE RESIDUE ON LAUNDRY?

@Tinkrbl44 

I don't use fabric softener in my laundry, but do use it when I wash some curtains and sheers and especially when I pack them away.    

Just last week, I poured the last of the Final Touch fabric softener down the drain, as it had "broken down", and looked "chunky".   My guess on your issue would be this has something to do with the addition of the fabric softener in the detergent.  

Esteemed Contributor

That has happened to me when i have used too much detergent

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

Non-agitating washers?   How does a washing machine clean clothes in the first place if it doesn't agitate them? 

Trusted Contributor

I've had this happen often too. Now I use way less detergent than recommended on the box and also a higher level on the water. That way it seems to rinse out all the detergent. It has been working for me! 

Honored Contributor

Do a double rinse and add vinegar to the final rinse. 

Vinegar will also help preserve dye in dark clothing so they will stay dark longer.

Respected Contributor

Make sure you don't add too much soap as well.  We add more them necessary.  Are you using  liquid or powder?  Load size matters as well.  

I bought a new washer a coup!e years ago and went back to an agitator and love it.  Clothes come out cleaner for me.  I have lots of options on it.  I can choose the water level or let it choose.  

I only use non colored or scented soap too.  Not to gum it up with all those dyes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two things, and both, or least one, have been mentioned by others. I started setting the water level myself, probably higher than needed, instead of letting the machine choose it and number two, if doing a delicate cycle set it for a second rinse because I think the delicate rinse is just that, delicate.....too delicate to get suds rinsed off of the items thus causing that white residue.

In other words I believe it's caused by suds that didn't get rinsed off completely and are glommed onto the fabric. 

Honored Contributor

I never use any fabric softener ,alone ,or in a laundry detergent, just not good at all for clothes,or dryer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I know you asked another poster this question but I have a front loader which does not have an agitator and it works just fine.  The clothing is still sloshing around in the sudsy water.  So many machines now are supposedly "smart" and decide on how much water to add or not.  I stopped using fabric softener and I do use a small amount only of detergent, you really don't need much.  I will do a second rinse once in awhile but it really could be an abundance of things such as just the minerals in your water.  My machine is only 2 years old and it has a "clean washer" cycle to remove any residue.  That seems to help also, of course it alerts me when it needs a bath, LOL!

Mine is an Electrolux

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 :  I also hadn't heard of no agitator until I went shopping in Dec 2020 and bought one; they do clean clothes and I'm sure its less wear n tear on clothing.  That said, I went back to agitator machine when staff at appliance desk at Lowes offered that they have more problems with non agitator.  In Lowes it looked like it was 50/50 agitator/no agitator.  I wish they'd make a simple, reliable American made (parts availability) machine like in "good old days".  Btw this was a $900 Whirlpool that had " motherboard ( semi conductor) problems.