Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT CAN YOU TELL OR GUESS ABOUT THE PERSON(S) WHO LIVE HERE?

This room appears to be a large apartment in the north, likely a very well respected address.  This person has a large income and an interest in art and antiques.

I would love to see the coffee table!

Valued Contributor

They live in a beautiful two story apartment on Central Park West overlooking the park.  They purchased two apartments one above and below in 1990 for $825K and did a massive renovation turning it into one.  The private spaces are upstairs and the living areas are down.  They are both professionals. He's a partner in a law firm and she's an editor for The NY Times, style section.  They're both at retirement age and their kids are long gone.  Although they love their life in NYC, they're considering the next stage and perhaps retire to the country in CT. Their apartment was recently appraised at $14.2MM.  

Honored Contributor

Probably owned by some guy named Rocky Mellon Goldman-Sachs

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

They like good looking men.

Honored Contributor

Well to do single male, interior designer or other artistic and creative profession over the age of 50. The photo could be of him in younger years. 

Very traditional taste and personality.  Possibly, find him living in Manhattan, Boston, Philadelphia, or Washington, DC, historic districts.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, I knew there would be great answers! 

@Sooner@Imaoldhippie ,  @vsm, @love my grandkids, @DREAMON , @jubilant , @Lucky Charm,  @faeriemoon, @ECBG , @Linda0215 , @Desertdi , @Catiele , @Foxxee 

Love getting these answers!   Imaginative, amusing, thought-provoking.

First, @love my grandkids,  I haven't seen @lolakimono around here in awhile, and I miss her posts also.  Maybe with the school year winding down, she'll be able to pop in again-- hope so.

So many of you were spot on, or very very close.

From what little I know for a fact:

PMD-Portrait.jpg

It is the personal apartment of Philip Mitchell, a very successful Toronto (very big city, like most of you guessed) interior designer.   Interestingly, it is in a 70's apartment building, so he added all the little architectural details himself.  He would describe himself as a "maximalist",  as opposed to a minimalist, clearly, and he does love art, and apparently, adorable shaggy dogs.  He also has an old coastal house in Nova Scotia too, that is even more traditional.

I have a few questions:

@faeriemoon,  I was fascinated that you included "loving" in your description of the phantom owner.  I can guess why you did, but would love to know in your words.

@Linda0215,  who is your publisher?   If you are not a rising, socially observant novelist, you should be, ha.

Anyway, I enjoyed every answer and appreciate you all taking the time to play this game-- so much fun.

Had I not known anything about the owner, I probably would have said --  male, city, probably a designer, collector with a great eye.

I'm not as "maximalist" as he is, but I do like a mix of traditional with a little modern, like that interesting coffee table.  I admire him and am more in his camp of "masculine traditional"-- love the stripes, dark wood, black lampshade, a few contemporary touches, etc.  When traditional gets very flowery or frilly, like the supposed "grandmillenial" style, it loses me.

As much as I love panels and architectural picture-molding like he has here, I wouldn't have quite as much.  I like a slightly 'calmer' background for living with.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh darn, I'm sorry I didn't get to post sooner.  That was going to be my exact answer @Oznell  -- the home of Phillip Mitchell.  wink wink. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

They couldn't believe their luck. An apartment with high ceilings and beautiful architectural features? At that price? If there was a problem, they didn't want to know about it. Moving from a smaller city and a faceless, featureless rented condo--one of about 600 in a compact development--they had never imagined being able to have such a place. 

And the artwork they had collected to keep themselves from falling asleep at 9pm every night in that bland condo would fit in beautifully. They just knew it would. They didnn't have much furniture worth moving, though. That coffee table, of course, had to come. What an investment that had been. More than two months' rent, that took. Most of the rest of their things could be left at the curb with a "FREE" sign on it. 

Word went out to their families, and soon, they had promises of a sofa, chairs, dining table, dressers, rugs, lamps...well, it could have been a mish-mash, but somehow it all worked. They started giving dinner parties and informal gatherings. He loved cooking in the slightly outdated kitchen. She took over the dining room by day to build her client practice. They started taking a print newspaper again. They got a landline. They met people in the building. They gave up their car in favor of walking. They kept acquiring artwork. Soon, the soft, rich look of their home began to show up in a mellowness of moods and a confidence that was priceless.

"We change our environment, and then our environment changes us," she said one night. He nodded, and they settled further into the corner of the velvet sofa. 

Honored Contributor

I was WAY OFF. You guys are good. I guess I don't have that vibe that tells me about 'the house they live in.' I am a failure.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all the responses but I picture a very wealthy, 70ish gentleman living here and is located in New York City or some large metropoltan area on the east coast.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown