Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT ZILLOW?

I have seen it pretty accurate and not even close to accurate.  It’s kind of all over the place. Have to remember there is no way to know the condition of the house.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappywrote:

Every once in a while, I check what Zillow has as to the value of our house.  Of course, I like it much better when it's more than what we purchased it for than below.  But, what I don't understand is when I look at the rest of the homes on my street.  Two homes in particular have always gone up, never down (that I've seen) and it's not by a little amount...it's more like $200,000.  The house next door to us was always less than ours, and now it's over $100,000.  Mine seems to stay pretty much the same or less.  The houses that I gave examples to all moved in around when we did.  Just wondering.

I am a realtor. Do not rely on Zillow for value information. It is much more accurate to have a local realtor do comps for you or have your house appraised by a real estate appraiser.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Zillow says my house has 2 bedrooms and is 1000 feet smaller than it really is.  

Honored Contributor

in our general area it is pretty darn accurate.

i do use it as a reference sometimes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Bri36wrote:

Zillow says my house has 2 bedrooms and is 1000 feet smaller than it really is.  

if you want, you can go in and update the information by "claiming" the property. i did that with our home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

With Zillow or Trulia (think it was zillow), you are allowed to add addional featurs to your home.  I.E. I added our new windows and a new roof. these changes upped the price of our home by $25,000  I did this because we were selling our home