Esteemed Contributor

Re: WELLESLEY, MASS. TUDOR HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, I wish I could help, but I have never seen anything like that walking stick holder.  A very skinny barrel!

I have only been in one authentic Tudor home.  It had such beautiful golden oak paneling and woodwork - I wouldn’t touch that with paint.  The front door opened into a large room, just an entry to the house.  Just gorgeous!  The kitchen had been updated beautifully, in the spirit of the home.  In our area they are very expensive homes, and I would rather one than a typical McMansion.  But unless we had won the lottery, just a dream.

Trusted Contributor

WOW, that is lovely, love it.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author wrote:

Absolutely love this house, and the wallpaper!  All the charming details are wonderful, yet it isn't overly "done" or cluttered.  The kitchen, well, just perfect.

@author 

I agree.  Genius decorator as she took what could have been a dark and dreary home and made it into a magical fairytale home with a light and bright look and Oznell is right about the "well-traveled" look and yet it looks like it works with the period home although it is almost eclectic in its flavor.  Love the wallpaper but I personally would not have done that but it works beautifully.

I am loving how decorators and even those of us who like to play decorators with our own homes, are using mixed periods and placing them in unexpected homes.  This is a fine example.  This looks like the person has a flair for the past mixed with trendy and what she has "picked up" along the way.  I like that.  She has a bit of the Bunny Williams taste although she has used it sparingly and made the expanses appear as large as they are rather than making it look smaller, like a little jewel box as Bunny is inclined to do.  Yet, they both know how to mix periods and styles.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for responding to my question about the "butter churn- umbrella stand",  @ECBG ,  and @PamfromCT !

Wow, all of you have such interesting insights into this house in its various aspects, a pleasure to read.

Honored Contributor

This is a beautiful home. Very warm and cozy. I don't mind the wallpaper at all either.....I would probably change a few of the furnishings, but not too much!!

Just beautiful! 

Honored Contributor

I like the interior better than the exterior. I don't care for a chimney on the front of the house. The balcony that's not  centered above the front door would drive me crazy. 🥴

The interior is very nice. There's a few things I would change, but overall, the furnishings and accessoies appeal to me. I appreciate the bright airy feel of the rooms. Love the entry. I like the contrast between the dark woods and lighter cream wall color. I'm not usually a wallpaper person, but I like it in the dining room. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's well done even if it isn't my style.  There are some things here and there that would definitely have to go or be changed out.  I love that campaign side table and there's a similar style used for the coffee table that I also really like.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really cannot get enough of looking at this house. Isee Shaker, British Colonial, Farmhouse, Rococo, the Campaign chest mentioned.  I see so many periods, styles of decor here and all together it just works beautifully.  I would not have done this house this way but then I don't have the wherewithal to take a person's collection of furniture and family heirlooms from travel and curations.  It is so interesting to the visitor.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   You're descriptions are so ....delicious!

My maternal ancestors hail from neighboring towns.  Myself....Boston.

Some of the antiques could've been their's!

I do remember a goose neck/swan neck rocker that a great aunt had in her *pahlahr*. 

The wood was almost bleached white on the handles....her mother (my great grandmother) used to *hit it with a bleach* solution after visitors-- back when tuberculosis was rampant at the turn of the last century.

Honored Contributor

Your observations are right on, @Nonametoday .   After perusing her portfolio, I was delighted to see that Homeworthy did a lengthy video of her giving a filmed tour of the house.  Loved her down-to-earth personality--  none of the decorator la-di-da.    She came to designing by a circuitous route, via Wall Street!   Very interesting person, which translates to interesting house...

Wow, amazing stories and memories from the venerable Bay State, @Lucky Charm .   Always love your stories.   That swan rocker must have been wonderful too, bleached arms and all!