Honored Contributor

WELLESLEY, MASS. TUDOR HOUSE

Katie Rosenfeld, a traditional designer with a sense of whimsy,  did the interiors on her own quirky, historic Tudor revival house from the 1920's.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.23.25 PM.png

This house is "storybook" territory to me.  Although it's in a populous Massachusetts suburb, it could just as easily be a remote, magical cottage, lost in the woods ...

Love that the interior doors have that little Gothic arch motif, you first glimpse on the exterior of the house, and that continues inside....  

2021-10-21-KatieRosenfeld-ReadMcKendree-0013_V1.jpg

In restoring the house, they kept charming little nooks, and architectural throwbacks, like this built-in bench :

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.29.54 PM.png

Love her antiques, the baskets, the flamestitch ottoman.  Could that umbrella stand / walking stick holder be an old wooden butter churn,  @PamfromCT ?   @ECBG ?   Or anyone else who might know?

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.41.39 PM.png

The living room is light yet cozy.

2021-09-24-KatieRosenfeld-ReadMcKendree-0204_V1.jpg

Love this spacious living room.

312935693_641239807652565_3448072934130064617_n.jpg

Exotic chairs and 'campaign chest'-style table, give that "world-traveled" air.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.50.16 PM.png

Here's the usual disclaimer,  "I am not a wallpaper person", and wouldn't personally have chosen this design....   but, this is a nice dining room.   Katie Rosenfeld's sporadic use of wallpaper in a house like this, even if not to my particular liking, is appropriate. 

2021-09-24-KatieRosenfeld-ReadMcKendree-0224_V1.jpg

The kitchen's continuous soapstone counter, backsplash and shelf are attractive and dramatic.   Soapstone seems so at home in older houses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.45.07 PM.png

The island is painted in Farrow and Ball's "Studio Green".  The larder to the left of the stove hides the microwave, among other things.

SO22_KatieRosenfeld-Wellesley_Kitchen-Island.jpg

I like the 'dun' color chosen for the kitchen cabinetry--  reminds me of the color of English drabware.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.45.52 PM.png

She has a collection of Toby jugs on top shelf!   And below, such handsome antique pottery.   The floor is reclaimed terra cotta.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.46.29 PM.png

This bath pleasantly alludes to times past.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 10.00.12 PM.png

Same disclaimer as before about wallpaper in these two bedrooms--  I just don't care for wallpaper anywhere but a powder room, perhaps, or small entry.  But I still like these rooms, over all.

That antique swan bench at foot of bed is enviable!

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.43.43 PM.png

A bedroom window seat is such an asset.   Love the quilt, rug and butterfly prints.  I also like the way the bedrooms are completely different from each other.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 9.37.20 PM.png

But strangely enough, one of my favorite rooms might be the office, below!  Imagine having an office like this.  Perfect for an interior designer, with those cubbys full of wicker bins, ideal for stowing samples and other designer gear.

This office is comfortable, roomy, and it has its own window seat too.

2021-10-21-KatieRosenfeld-ReadMcKendree-0243_V1.jpg

By the way, like many Tudors, this one had very dark stained millwork--  door frames, beams, etc.    Katie Rosenfeld made the decision to paint most of it out in Farrow and Ball's "Shaded White".

What's your position on painting out vintage woodwork?  Personally, I think you have to take it on a case-by-case basis, but am all for it if the wood comes across as too dark or oppressive in the house.  As you can see by looking at the beams, and door frames, "Shaded White" is warm and soft, not a harsh, bright white.  To me that makes all the difference in a mellow, old house.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: WELLESLEY, MASS. TUDOR HOUSE

Charming house. The architectural features make it all thee more unique. Thanks for sharing this, Ozzie!

Honored Contributor

Ms Rosenfeld has created a home "true to it's bones".  I love the colors, patterns, and textures that play off of each other.  I would only have to change a few things  to move in.  

Yes, the umbrella stand is a butter churn.  The metal hoops add charm to that little area.

Although, I don't generally paint woodwork, I loved the color she used.  I think I would have lightened the woodwork myself.

I loved the kitchen!

As we moved through the house, I was surprised at the spaciousness of the rooms compared to the outside of the house.

I'll have to show you the architect's water color of the house he built for my grandparents.  I'd love to have that home, except it's on a busy street.

Respected Contributor

Tudor has never been one of my personal favorites.  For me, it has a heaviness and darkness to it.  But this Tudor home is a breath of fresh air!  Lightening the wood on the outside of the home as well as the inside takes it to another level.

It is charming.  Like you, I am not a fan of wallpaper but I adore the bedroom!

This was a delight, thank you.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely love this house, and the wallpaper!  All the charming details are wonderful, yet it isn't overly "done" or cluttered.  The kitchen, well, just perfect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a lovely very well done home. I could move right in and not change a thing.

I am not a wallpaper or painted over wood person but I think it works here.

The perfect creamy off white paint and wallpaper brighten up the rooms and give them a spacious interesting vibe.

I don't know what is happening to me but wallpaper isn't nearly as much of a turn off to me as it was in the past.Cat Surprised 

Honored Contributor

I think the other posters' comments sum it up well.

I have a soft spot for the Tudor and the "lightening" here really works.  A home with exquisite details, filled with some very special pieces.

Not too much, but just enough so that one can appreciate each of the carefully chosen items.

Like that wonderful swan bench in the bedroom.Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of most of the artwork on the walls, but LOVE everything else about this house.  Just beautiful.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lose the Asian chairs, the couple of more contemporary chairs and the bullion fringe on the living room chair and I'll keep the house and everything in it. Love the campaign style influences, the wallpaper, the kitchen and so on, not to omit to mention the home's exterior, which is a bit off the beaten track and lovely.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I adore this house!