Super Contributor

It's a pretty house, but the furniture seems oddly fussy and doesn't look comfortable considering they have children.  Like the dining room table with the backless benches, or the small upright chairs in the family room .  Nice house but the furniture could be improved.

Esteemed Contributor

Living in Connecticut in a colonial-style home, call me a cranky critic.  The home itself is lovely,  but I don’t care for the decor at all.  The interior of the house seems so dark, and there is such a mix of furnishings and accessories that don’t seem to blend.  At least to my taste.  Didn’t see much signs of life I love in a home - books, collections of family photos, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I love how she planned the hiding spots for the kids' toys, in drawers and under skirted tables, and how she thought to move the sofa away from the wall so they could play behind it.  

And Dutch doors.  I melt when I see a Dutch door.  Not sure why, but I simply love them.

It's a welcoming home although I agree it's a bit dark in some spots.

I also love seeing the Quintessence opening, with its hand-drawn animation.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

The house is pretty but it isn't warm and  comfy looking for a family IMO.

I would have to remove the wood overlay doors on the refrigerators (not a fan of wood on refrigerators), the wall color in the 2 bedrooms looks too dark to me, the large alligators, elephant, and hanging heads are not my thing at all, and I don't like fabric draped tables

I guess I just don't care for the decor.

Honored Contributor

I like the house, like the kitchen (even the hinges) and, to some extent, like the bedrooms, but the family room, entry and so on don't do much for me. Overall, I like a few of the elements she's chosen, but probably not most of them. The place seems comfortable if uninspired.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I didn't care for it, it did not seem warm or inviting to me. I'm sure she entertains a lot and has many guests, but I don't care for her sense of style at all. She clearly is very pleased with it, which is how it should be. 

Esteemed Contributor

I quite like the kitchen.  The rug in the boys room is nice.  I prefer a cozy family room with lots of upholstered pieces.  Not all my taste, but interesting.

Honored Contributor

When I first "stepped in" to this house I thought "modern farmhouse" but that quickly changed to something else.  I'm not quite sure what I would call it but it is unique and lovely. She had a lot of great ideas, I thought.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister , -- bingo!  Your fluid cinematic 'vocabulary' paid off!  I hadn't thought of that, but you zeroed in on both an exterior similarity, and to my mind, a similar 'spirit' inside (allowing for different eras, etc.)

Mr. Blandings' Dream House:

Mr-Blandings-Dream-House-Movie-Still.jpg

It also has that smaller little telescoped section on the right.  Since it was the Forties' it was almost bristling with shutters, very popular on older houses then.

I really like the interiors of the One KIngs Lane owner's house.  I love that she blends more traditional elements with her own idiosyncratic choices.  I think it's seamless, makes sense for a young family, and is not jarring.  That's what makes it 'come alive' for me, somewhat unlike the more static Hamptons farmhouse I posted recently.

For fun, here are a few of the Blandings' interiors.  The Blandings have similar painted paneling over the opening to the living room.  The mood is traditional, but Myrna Loy is sitting in a comfortable, practical easy chair, Forties' conception:

Mr-Blandings-Builds-His-Dream-House-Movie-Screenshots-17-e1460581524216.jpg 

I love the dentil detailing over the fireplace.

The Forties had a more reverent, if sometimes almost kitschy approach to colonial.  But I notice below, the low cabinet just to the right of the Blandings' daughter-- could that be a midcentury hi fi system of some sort?  It has that 'look' to me....  And I think it's fine in the traditional room.

Mr-Blandings-Builds-His-Dream-House-Movie-Screenshots-20-e1460581669588.jpg

@twinsister ,  thanks for sending me on a tangent, which I, (if no one else), thoroughly enjoyed, ha.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - I enjoyed your tangent and the pictures from the movie!  The chest in the dining room does look a little like mid-century modern and I loved the detail of the fireplace.  I could move in to that Blandings house today even though it is in a different era.   

I did like the living room, but not the kitchen in the Connecticut house.