Honored Contributor

WALL ART THAT LENDS A TOUCH OF 'VINTAGE'

If you're one of those who like a few retro touches to personalize your rooms, there are so many options.  One way to add them is through framed retro travel posters, for their quality of instantly setting a "mood", and for their affordability (mostly).  Even reproductions can be so atmospheric.

They run from a few dollars, up to ridiculous!   Look at this highly sought, authentic vintage skiing poster:

IMG_1007-600x873.jpeg

Unbelievably, the most recent asking price I saw on an online gallery was $4500!   Collectors are quirky.  But you can pick up framed beauties in local thrift stores and antique shops for well under $30, and other nicely framed ones online for a bit more.

By the way, vintage travel posters are the only art I like that contains words--  that was an integral part of them, of course, and the fonts that were chosen definitely bring the retro!

This one from Pan Am (I think put out in the Forties) is a favorite for combining a vintage sea plane with 'tropical splendor':

s-l500.jpg

You can pick a city or geographical spot that is particularly special to you, like beautiful, haunting Venice.  This one is especially artful:

travel-poster-for-venice_u-l-poe71s2fg8tk.jpg

This San Francisco one is strikingly Art Deco.  I didn't realize I have a penchant for old planes, but find them so appealing in this kind of art.

clipper-314_u-l-e833g2fjs25.jpg

I love canyons due to my connection to Arizona, so this one is one I'd consider getting.  Sunset colors are pretty too:

grand-canyon-national-park-mather-point-retro-travel-poster,2189322.jpg

But you can also suggest "vintage" with black and white photography, especially "sepia" photography, that introduces that subtle brown overtone to black and white.

So this moody, sepia view of the Grand Canyon by Gordon Semmens, reminiscent of the landscape photography of Ansel Adams, has a vintage feeling-- love:

sepia-grand-canyon-2_u-l-q10pkqa2a4gik.jpg

Black and white "sepia" photography gives a seasoned look even to close-up still lifes.  Like this pair of flower studies, Circus Roses and 3 Black-eyed Susans by Michael Harrison:

u-g-F4DZCICX5Z6.jpg

u-g-F4DZCBCX5Z6.jpg

Not sure if the subtle sepia aspect is coming through in these images, but in real life it is there, and gives a slightly 'dreamy' quality....

Honored Contributor

Re: WALL ART THAT LENDS A TOUCH OF 'VINTAGE'

Loving the roses!

Esteemed Contributor

Love the old Ski  posters and seeing old ski gear that are often seen at lodges. My Husband learned to ski on those old  wooden & bear trap  bindings . He must have been determined to learn.

Respected Contributor

I've always loved the art exhibit prints from museums. One of my faves...

Amazon.com: (24 x 36) Lord Frederic Leighton (Flaming June, Museo de Arte  Ponce Puerto Rico) Póster: Home & Kitchen

Honored Contributor

Retro is very appealing to me and those posters are great!  I wouldn't mind having any of them in my home!  Travel posters are art and I think they would look great in a family room or any room for that matter.  Thanks for the pictures!

Valued Contributor

Love the old ski poster. It reminds me of the movie White Christmas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in high school in the 1950s, I discovered and acquired FREE posters from Scandinavian Airlines.  They were large, colorful works of art and all you had to do was write and ask for them.  I wish I'd kept them.  There was one advertising Egypt done in purples that was just beautiful.

I can't believe I actually found a picture of my favorite poster online:

Screenshot_20210305-090532_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Love the old Ski  posters and seeing old ski gear that are often seen at lodges. My Husband learned to ski on those old  wooden & bear trap  bindings . He must have been determined to learn.

@skatting44, Want a laugh?  My DH, turning 80, always kept his old wooden childhood skis.  We display them every

Cnristmas in an arrangement on our front door.  Sometimes it is good to be a pack rat.

Honored Contributor

My favorite is "Sun Valley"...................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I like these travel prints! I had 2 huge framed travel posters in my first apartment. Later, they ended up in our finished basement. I really liked them. We got rid of them when we remodeled our basement and decided to hang movie posters & other artwork instead. I wouldn't mind having one or two again, but I'd have to decide which current artwork would have to go as there's no more room on my walls.